Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do mice need human interaction?

4 posters

Go down

Do mice need human interaction? Empty Do mice need human interaction?

Post by Salvsop27 Wed 17 Nov 2021, 11:38 pm

My two female that I got a little over a month ago are very shy around me. They aren’t exactly scared of me, (they run up to the top of the cage because they know I give them treats.) but they don’t really let me touch them, and they won’t crawl into my hand to pick them up. I have no problem with this relationship, I enjoy just watching them run around, and giving them treats everyday, but I was wondering if lack of interaction with me will have any negative effects on them. I don’t really know if fancy mice need human interaction, or if interacting with each other is enough. I can take them out of their tank by getting them to crawl into a toilet roll (which they do so happily) so getting them out isn’t a problem. Does anyone know the answer to this?
Thank you in advance.

Salvsop27
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Do mice need human interaction? Empty Re: Do mice need human interaction?

Post by Kirinsara Sat 20 Nov 2021, 8:22 am

As far as I know, two mice should very much be happy with each other's company. I think for females, 3 or more is the preferred size of a group, but since there are two they shouldn't be "lonely" so to say. So from this viewpoint, I think you interacting with them is not "necessary", though fancy mice are tamed animals and can enjoy human company too. Also, since it's only been a month, it's quite natural they are shy around you still, so they might grow more comfortable later on.
Kirinsara
Kirinsara

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvsop27 Sat 20 Nov 2021, 12:32 pm

Thank you. I am planning on getting more mice later on, and upgrading to an ikea detolf around Christmas. I’ll continue the bonding process, but the still don’t seem to care about doing anything with me besides taking treats.

Salvsop27
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cerial Sun 21 Nov 2021, 2:33 am

I find using things like cardboard tubes will let you pick them up and give them a better means to explore your hands.

I do not handle my fearless deer mice outside the cage. But they know I will give them treats and will come to me just taking it with there paws or carefully biting down upon it. They know if they do the hand swipe or head butt thing I will drop it and they try to avoid that.

I just bought 4 new fancy mice Tuesday and introduced them over 12 hours the same day. Before I introduced them I was able to get 3 of them use to me within the first hour before the other mice were able to small them through a separate cage with wire mesh in between. This was followed by a new to them saucer toy and then after 8 hours they were introduced to the fancy mice one at a time. The first mouse I put in was squeaks and they tried to nurse off of her. But as I introduced a few more they got use to them. 2 of them follow around Tan(she has a tan belly) and she has done a good job of teaching them and protecting them. Of course my most fearful and dominant mouse Freak try's to get a hold of them when she can. But no blood has been drawn.

Freak won't come and even runs off to hide when I come in. She tends to bully every other mouse in the cage letting them know who is the boss. Some mice are just like that. Spaz was like that for a while. But through treats and her getting older I have trained her to come and be ok with being held. I always enforce being picked up or going outside the cage with some kind of good thing. That may just be a treat or something new for them to explore.

Every 2 weeks I clean the cage. When I do I let the fancy mice out of the cage and onto a desk. I find picking them up lets them get use to me. They do try to get back into the cage the entire time mostly out of the new curious smell.

I have a tube connecting two cages so I can move the deer mice into one side of the cage while I clean the other. The fancy prefer the 55 gallon while the deer mice prefer the larger enclosure so every time I clean the cages I put the deer mice in the 55 gallon while the fancy go into the larger cage. It is blocked off for a hour and most of the time the fancy sleep in the larger cage for the first day. It lessens how territorial Freak is with her staying in the larger cage where most of the mice can outrun her.

Freak is slowly coming around to being held. But she also knows I will push her away from the new mice if she is tumbling with them. Tumbling is when they can bite necks and only happens for a week. So a few steps back with her trust until the new mice are fully grown.

Munk, Squeaks and a few of the deer mice will run across the cage to be held. But some mice like Freak are scared of most things going into defensive mode hiding or eye squinting if your not careful. One of the new mice is a bit scared of new things. But I think I can break her of it. She is hopping around happily currently exploring. she and the other 4 have bonded with several other mice following them around and sleeping with them. She is just not ready to be held just yet. That and every time I try to bond with her I have a few mice trying to get treats or be picked up.

Mice don't need human interaction. But they know who gives them food, water and treats. All my deer mice were raised inside the cage I try to give the mother treats after the pups have opened the eyes and it has worked out very well with the pups learning by watching mom.

cerial

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Mon 29 Nov 2021, 12:41 pm

[quote="Salvsop27"] I think that males definitely require much more attention (an hour a day at least), but females still need attention. if they are stressed out when you try to interact with them, then don't unless necessary. but I think that interaction can be beneficial. My male constantly looks for me and gets really excited when he sees me, but I've never owned females. So I'm not an expert however they need each other's attention more than yours. training them to do things is also good for them. it can strengthen their relationship with you, too. but if they don't care for your attention, I think that you don't need to handle them a lot.

Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down