Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How different are feeder mice to usual pet mice breeds?

2 posters

Go down

How different are feeder mice to usual pet mice breeds? Empty How different are feeder mice to usual pet mice breeds?

Post by Bubbles Thu 02 Dec 2021, 7:25 pm

I don't know how right or wrong I was to buy 2 heavily pregnant feeder mice from the pet store yesterday, but I couldn't help myself in the moment to "save" them. Silly, I know, but now I have 2 new mother mice who gave birth over night and after many hours of research, I am comfortable with caring properly for them, but I do not know if they are very different to the usual mice that are bred for being pets. My two girls are both albino and seem smaller compared to other mice I've seen. Do they have a specific breed still? Any pointers would be appreciated!

Bubbles

Back to top Go down

How different are feeder mice to usual pet mice breeds? Empty Re: How different are feeder mice to usual pet mice breeds?

Post by tokimouse Fri 03 Dec 2021, 4:21 pm

I'd say there is a chance their lines might be unhealthier since people who breed for feeders are not as considerate about things like tumors, genetic mutations, etc. Also, they may not be as friendly. As of now I have 3 females, 2 of which were either bred for, or planned to be bred for feeders, and they still do not let me touch them after 3 weeks. My mouse bred specifically for companionship was hand friendly the fourth day I owned her for.

tokimouse

Back to top Go down