Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

small, mucusy, chained poop?

2 posters

Go down

small, mucusy, chained poop? Empty small, mucusy, chained poop?

Post by juniperandbramble Sat 12 Feb 2022, 1:50 am

Bad Day hi, i am a new mouse owner, i have 2 female mice named juniper and bramble, i'm not sure how old they are, but i got them only 4 months ago.
recently, when have brang them out for their playtime/handling time, i noticed that their poops are connected in chains (kind of like a snowman formation) and its covered in mucus. It's also small and shriveled. I am worried something is very wrong with them.
They are acting fairly normal though, they're eager to jump on my hand and get treats and cuddles, they chew cardboard and climb ropes so I haven't really noticed any behavioural changes.
Is there any reason their droppings are like this? and what can i do to make them feel better.

Thank you very much

juniperandbramble

Back to top Go down

small, mucusy, chained poop? Empty Re: small, mucusy, chained poop?

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Sat 12 Feb 2022, 12:09 pm

After four months, Juniper and Bramble (that sounds like a description of the yard work I was doing this morning) should be settled in to their new environment, so the mucus isn't likely a result of "moving stress".

There are so many possible causes for mucus-y mousedoodles -- some of which are not a worry, some of which are a serious problem, and everything in between -- that I suggest three steps:

1)  Capture some specimens of the mucus-y feces.  Have a zip-lock plastic bag for each mouse's contribution, and label the bags.  Also collect all the food and treat packages so you have an inventory of all the ingredients.  These may come in handy at the vet.

2)  Make an appointment with the veterinarian.  If it is gastroenteritis that requires some medication, or if there turns out to be a parasite problem, or if anything else is going on that you can't handle on your own with home remedies, you want to know about it as soon as possible.

3)  Meanwhile, feed Juniper and Bramble only their basic rodent chow blocks that are supposed to provide complete nutrition -- no treats, no vegetables.  They can have a tiny bit of plain yogurt -- let them lick a little dab off your finger.  And make sure their water and water bottle/bowl are very clean.  I used to boil the tap water first, then cool it before filling April's water dish.

Maybe after implementing step 3 (while waiting for the vet appointment) the problem will clear up.  But you should still talk to the mouse doctor about what might have led to the mucus, because I'm sure your little ones will enjoy getting back to having treats.  That's where the specimens and package ingredient lists will come in useful.

Let us know how things are going.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

juniperandbramble likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by juniperandbramble Sun 13 Feb 2022, 1:42 am

Hi! Thank you for the suggestion, I used to only give them tap water but now I will make sure they get boiled water instead. I will try to book a vet appointment asap.
I'm so sorry to bother you and ask another question but, I noticed that Bramble has been loosing weight and im very worried for them. I will collect samples tonight at their playtime and hope for the best!

juniperandbramble

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Sun 13 Feb 2022, 12:51 pm

I don't have a satisfactory solution for the weight loss.  It would seem to be a result of the upset in the digestive system, but that may be only part of the story, or it may even be due to another problem that is also causing the upset.  Gut health is tied to the health of the rest of the body, and vice versa, and the whole thing seems to be a very complicated topic of current research. So ... that's why it's good to see a doctor.

What you might want to try is to mix up some baby porridge.  Even mice with delicate eating habits will find that to their liking.  And since it is just vitamin-fortified grain, it should not cause digestive side-effects.  Here's a video of mice eating the rice flavor

My little April was partial to multigrain, and wouldn't touch the barley.

My decision to boil the tap water was based on the strong chlorine smell.  For myself, I keep a pitcher of water at room temperature, and some large cups of water in the refrigerator, slowly de-chlorinating themselves.  Your water may not be as pungent, but it doesn't hurt the mice to drink the purest water possible.

You've had good timing to catch me with your questions. I don't have a computer at home, so I have to check in here while I'm at work. Most of the time there is no time for me to respond to any posts. I managed to get here a little early, however, both yesterday and today! But if you need help and I don't respond, it's because I'm on the clock at the office -- not because I don't care about your little mousies.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down