Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick Mice?

3 posters

Go down

Sick Mice? Empty Sick Mice?

Post by Inaiyau Mon 01 Aug 2022, 6:10 pm

Hey guys!

I'm concerned that two of my girls may be ill.

Rhyme, Thyme, and Chyme share a cage, so I haven't separated. For the last 1-2 days Thyme has felt warmer than usual when I pick her up so I'm worried about a possible fever. Chyme has also been sneezing for the last few days (not consistently, but I've heard her a few times).

All three are still eating and drinking (I've watched them) and are passing normal stools. When I hold them up to listen to their breathing I don't hear clicking or rasping, and Thyme is still talking up a storm with no major change to her voice. They have been spending more time resting, but they're still climbing the bars and all.

My family has had covid run through our household recently (I myself am still on the mend), is it possible they could have caught it?
They didn't catch it the last time we had it run through but I was still cautious with them this time, though they are in my room which likely lead to them catching it. If that's what it is.

I guess my questions are..
Do I need to take them to the vet as soon as possible? Or should I just watch them for signs of change?

Thank you!
Inaiyau
Inaiyau
Jr Member
Jr Member

Fine

Back to top Go down

Sick Mice? Empty I’m not a vet but…

Post by JustGinger Fri 19 Aug 2022, 10:40 pm

I have 13 mice currently. I’ve owned and loved probably 50 over the years. My ex was a veterinarian but didn’t specialize in exotics so whenever a member of our brood became “sick”, together, we learned a lot about what to do and sometimes, what not to do.

Of the mice I currently own, two of them have touch and go allergy like symptoms.
I keep close tabs on them but neither has shown any symptoms of lethargy, neither stops eating or drinking, both are pooping normally, neither has runny eyes, nor is either spreading any infection.
And so I leave them be.

I know that personally, when I feel like one of my pets is sick, I become panicky. I worry that something is wrong and so I start “treating” the issue prematurely which may cause further distress unnecessarily.

If your little friends are eating and drinking and pooping… And if they don’t have obvious signs of illness/injury… try not to worry… Sometimes it’s best to just monitor them and leave them be.

Mice are beautiful, sweet, delicate little beings. Sometimes, things are going to happen that will be out of your control.

It sounds to me like Rhyme, Thyme and Chyme have a good mama! I hope they’re doing better. I wish you the best of luck!

Ginger 👩🏼‍🦰

JustGinger

Back to top Go down

Sick Mice? Empty Re: Sick Mice?

Post by michelelaforte9@gmail.com Sun 02 Oct 2022, 10:26 am

Great advice, Ginger! I have had 8 mice over the last 2 years and two of my three breeder mice developed allergies from Kaytee paper bedding so bad one of them stopped eating and also developed a respiratory infection. She was on 5 medications for several weeks! My mouse vet lives 4 hours away by car. The bedding does make a difference. Now I make their bedding with plain white copy paper (no ink) put through a shredder combined with shredded soft white napkins, white unscented toilet paper or soft paper towel like Viva (I tried to put these through the shredder but it does not work so I have to manually shred) and it made a great difference. No more problems and a lot cheaper especially the vet bill which was about $900 for my mouse that stopped eating but now she is a happy girl.

michelelaforte9@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Sick Mice? Empty Re: Sick Mice?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down