Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment

2 posters

Go down

Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment Empty Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment

Post by Loving.pests Thu 05 Jan 2023, 11:48 am

Hi there, I just went to the vet and got some revolution to treat my mice's mite infestation. I have a tank of 6 girls, and 2 tanks and one cage with one boy each and another tank with two soft furs, so four tanks and one cage in total. I'm very clear on how to treat the mice with Revolution, but I'm not as clear on what the cleaning protocol should be. The vet mentioned something about cleaning today, treating and then cleaning the next day. I might have misheard her, but does this make sense to anyone?

She wasn't specific about how to clean. Between all of the enclosures I have wood, plastic and cardboard toys and paper, aspen shavings, hay and fleece bedding. The hay or aspen shavings are probably the mite culprit. Unfortunately I got massive bags of each, so I'm currently freezing them. My freezer definitely goes to -17C.

Here's my cleaning plan. I plan to bleach and freeze my wooden toys and then freeze them for 24 hours. Plastic I plan to just bleach. Cardboard I will throw away. Tanks/cage will also be cleaned with bleach. Fleece bedding I plan to wash and then freeze for 24 hours. Their initial cage set up will be very basic with just paper bedding and plastic toys until their other stuff is sterilized.

Questions:
Do I have to clean the day after treatment as well? Not sure if I heard the vet right on that.
Bleach solution, 9 parts water to 1 part bleach?
How long should I soak the toys in bleach?
Do the wooden toys need to be soaked in water to get the bleach out of a period of time?

How long do I wait to put mice back in tank after cleaning with bleach solution?
I usually clean with one part water to one part vinegar then rinse with just water, and they go in as soon as it's dry.

Is any of this overkill/too much?

My understanding of the way Revolution works is the the mites like mice much better than bedding so they all latch on and then die if every mouse is treated. So I'm just wondering if the bleaching and freezing of toys and the freezing of fleece and the bleaching of the tanks/cage is necessary. Obviously a deep clean, and a freeze of new bedding, but maybe I'm going a little too far with this.

I would love to learn from anyone with experience in this situation.

If it matters, I only have 5 visually affected mice in my group of 11, only two are quite noticeable (hair loss), but only one has broken skin. The effected mice are itchy. The one who has broken skin is really itchy. They don't have any other symptoms, no lethargy or change in diet.

Here are the mice with the most serious hair loss. White Tip is the one with broken skin. I missed getting him on free run so the picture is pretty terrible (in his cage). I took them for the vet, but I find it helpful to see pics when I'm reading this stuff, so it's really for your info. I'll try to let you know later if the treatment works. I hope it does Smile
Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment White_10

Please share your advice. Thanks!

Loving.pests

Back to top Go down

Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment Empty Re: Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment

Post by Loving.pests Thu 05 Jan 2023, 11:51 am

Here are the other mice. for some reason white tip was the only one who uploaded. Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment Kasha11
Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment Joshey11
Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment Franki10

Loving.pests

Back to top Go down

Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment Empty Re: Please help! cleaning advice during mite infestation concurrent with Revolution treatment

Post by catnapt Mon 13 Feb 2023, 6:05 pm

hi I am only familiar with treating mites on rats. Rats normally get scabs from scratching at themselves
Hair loss like that on a rat, at least, would likely be a different problem.
Is your vet very experienced with mice?

as far as cleaning goes, I would steer clear of bleach!! it's very toxic and has to be VERY diluted if used on products for rodents; personally I would not use it at all.

I'd direct most of your questions to your vet, they should have given you all that information when they treated your mice.

Not knowing how mice react to mites, I hope some one else will be able to give you more advice.
I would take them to a different vet for a second opinion, but like I said, I'm not familiar with mice (yet- hoping to get some soon)

catnapt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down