Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alfalfa cubes?

5 posters

Go down

Alfalfa cubes? Empty Alfalfa cubes?

Post by River Tue 26 Jul 2016, 5:38 pm

We have them for underweight/nursing/pregnant rabbits. I was wondering if they're fine for mice to have as a treat? They aren't recommended for adult rabbits since they're high in calcium/calories/protein, is it the same for mice?

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Alfalfa cubes? Empty Re: Alfalfa cubes?

Post by MouseLover Wed 27 Jul 2016, 7:59 am

It's safe for mice to eat, but I'm pretty sure that mice can't digest alfalfa as well as rabbits, so it doesn't provide them with many nutrients and just acts as a source of fiber. So I wouldn't bother personally.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Animal lover Fri 12 Aug 2016, 2:33 am

I believe Alfalfa hay is fattier than Timothy hay? I can't quite remember but it definitely isn't as healthy as Timothy hay. You can buy Timothy hay cubes (or just loose Timothy hay) for mice. It's a great source of fibre, and just be safe, it's recommended to put the hay in a freezer for at least 24 hours to kill any possible pests. It makes good nesting material, and hay is also good for wearing down mouse teeth!

R.I.P: Sunny, Snowy, Butterscotch, Oscar, Cookie, and Patches
Animal lover
Animal lover

Dead

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 12 Aug 2016, 8:03 am

Animal lover wrote:I believe Alfalfa hay is fattier than Timothy hay?

Alfalfa has higher protein and calcium. I think it's actually slightly lower in fat (not that either is super fatty).

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 12 Aug 2016, 12:29 pm

i have recently learned that adult chinchillas aren't supposed to have much alfalfa hay because it's fattening. That's all i know about that!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 12 Aug 2016, 5:05 pm

Since the mice likely won't eat much, if any, I'm not sure it's an issue that it's higher in calories/protein/calcium. I don't know for sure though.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 12 Aug 2016, 7:47 pm

scaredymouse wrote:i have recently learned that adult chinchillas aren't supposed to have much alfalfa hay because it's fattening.  That's all i know about that!

Adult chinchillas - much like rabbits and guinea pigs - actually should not have alfalfa, since it's not actually a grass hay and doesn't seem to aid them as well as timothy does. Alfalfa pellets aided with timothy hay are fine, though.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 12 Aug 2016, 8:40 pm

Correct, my girls get oxbow pellets in addition to timothy hay. Anyway, I imagine alfalfa has the same effect on mice as it does on rabbits and chinnys. However, I can't imagine they would eat enough for it to really make much of different to them nutritionally.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down