Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egg's Breathing

+2
timez
CinnamonPearl
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Egg's Breathing Empty Egg's Breathing

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 07 Aug 2016, 10:41 pm

Egg seems to be breathing a little strangely today. It just looks like she's breathing somewhat faster than normal. I can't really tell if it's abnormal, and if it is it just might be because of internal parasites. But can someone take a look and tell me what you think?

(Sorry, please ignore Mabel in the video. She was determined to interrupt for her scheduled cuddle time.)

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Egg's Breathing Empty Re: Egg's Breathing

Post by timez Sun 07 Aug 2016, 11:40 pm

Yeah that does look fast don't it - i hope shes ok Sad - i dont know if its anything to worry about or not so hope someone else knows

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 08 Aug 2016, 1:29 am

first of all, it's impossible to ignore mabel because she's adorable! but i agree, that breathing looks strange. it doesn't look awful, but it doesn't look good either. i think strange is the right word for it, though. i'm not sure if it's fast, heavy, or labored... or what it means. the thing that i thought was more worrisome was her squinty eyes and the look on her face and where she was in the tank. that's a weird place to rest. if she keeps that up and/or shows any other signs of illness, that needs a vet visit.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 08 Aug 2016, 9:35 am

Yeah, I agree, Scaredy. SIGH. Everyone's got something wrong right now, I just can't catch a break. I don't think Mabel is long for this earth, and now Egg is acting up. Hopefully it's only a URI or something. Their vet is gonna be gone until Saturday, but she did say that I can see one of her coworkers if I need. I'll keep an eye on it.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Mon 08 Aug 2016, 10:09 am

Has she been making any noises when she breathes at all?

Poor CinnamonPearl, you and your girls are having a rough time right now Sad

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 08 Aug 2016, 11:33 am

No, she's quiet! If you're wondering about that chittering in the video, that was just Henry.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 10 Aug 2016, 8:31 am

Just saw the vet. It's only a URI! Very Happy They're getting antibiotics and should be fine in a week. (I forgot to mention that Rosie has also been sneezy, so they both had an appointment.)

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 10 Aug 2016, 8:36 am

that's great news!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 10 Aug 2016, 11:08 am

Glad to hear she will be alright Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm

So Egg seems to be improving! She's still doing that thing where she'll go breathe in a corner, but her breathing is looking just a touch calmer. Plus, she's spending more time doing other things now. A few days ago she spent pretty much all day doing it, but today she got a little exercise, hung out with Rosie, and slept in the plastic castle which she has claimed. (I accidentally got one too small for two mice!) I'm pretty confident that Egg will come around. Haven't checked her weight today, but I'm hoping to see some improvement.

Unfortunately, on the other hand, Rosie seems to be getting weaker. She keeps just sitting in one place looking half-asleep, whether she's in the tank or out, and she isn't moving around very much. She'll get up and walk around, do some digging and get a bite to eat, but otherwise she's very tired. She's an old woman; I hope all this illness and medication isn't too much for her. She's still dropping in weight, so I'm just not sure. I'm really hoping she'll come around and I'm still holding out for her to, but I'm preparing myself just in case.

Sorry to ramble, but over the past few days, I've of course had to consider getting another girl to add to the colony. After all, Rosie is an old woman, and if she does end up passing soon, Egg may have to spend quite a long time living alone. But with college coming so soon, it's now become time to consider how I want to phase out my doe colony. I've decided that for now, I won't take anymore girls. But if Rosie passes on soon, I'll have to consider my options for Eglantine. I could get her a friend knowing that she will probably live past my going to college, I can avoid taking another girl and let the colony end, or I could rehome Egg. But of course, I don't need to even be considering this right now since I still have two girls! Sorry to go off on a tangent.

On the bright side, Henry is as healthy and chubby as ever! Very Happy

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 12 Aug 2016, 9:10 am

Glad that Egg's doing better. Hope they're both fine and dandy soon!

How much older is Rosie than Egg? Would getting an older lady mouse that needs rehoming be an option?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 12 Aug 2016, 9:25 am

Rosie is going to be two in September, and Egg just turned one in June. I guess getting an older mouse is an option. It's a lot to consider.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 12 Aug 2016, 4:59 pm

Well, now that Egg is a single mouse with the potential for a long life ahead of her, I've decided that she'll get a friend or two. I've started looking around for mice that need rehoming so she won't have to be alone too long, but I've made a decision. I'll get her a friend or two only when she is done with treatment and 100% healthy. When her breathing has normalized and she's stopped losing weight, she can have a friend. But until I know she's made it out of this, I won't commit myself to keeping more girls. She's been improving every day, but I'm preparing for the fact that she could go downhill any day now. But still, I'm optimistic. That's why I've started hunting around on craigslist.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Fri 12 Aug 2016, 5:51 pm

Check out petfinder.com also, for mice in rescues.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 12 Aug 2016, 8:30 pm

I'm happy to report that Eggi is doing well and seems to be taking the loss okay. Of course it's a bit soon to call, but she's acting normal, and her breathing is improving. She's been a joy all day. She watched the deep sea exploration stream with me for a few hours (I would've put her back earlier but I needed the comfort), and now she's waddling around the desk as I chat on skype and such. I plan to make her some fake friends, and I'll keep her so much company that she'll probably be sick of me!

Of course, if she decides to leave with Rosie and Mabel, then there's nothing I can do. But I found someone who's rehoming a girl across the sound, and I told them that I could take her once Egg is all better from both tapeworm and URI. It'll probably be harder to tell when the tapeworm is all gone since even though she's dropped weight, she's not exactly in a danger zone at 56g. So she may not regain the weight as fast as I'd like since she used to hover in the high 50s. But I want to see her regaining some weight before anymore mice come into this house.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next