Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a virus going around with my mice? Or just depressed?

2 posters

Go down

Is there a virus going around with my mice? Or just depressed? Empty Is there a virus going around with my mice? Or just depressed?

Post by Illumimoe666 Sun 25 Sep 2016, 7:47 pm

A week ago my mouse Sol died. It was obvious that she was very sick. She was fine the day before but suddenly it hit her and just got worse. She had all the symptoms of a respiratory infection. She died within a day and a half or so. Her and my mouse Luna we're extremely close. They grew up with each other and relied on each other for comfort. The first couple days after her death Luna did notice she was gone. Most likely wondering where she was. She finally realized she isn't going to come back and became depressed. All she did was just sleep and she barley ate and drank. She never showed signs of being sick tho. Just sad and very depressed. That's when I found her dead early yesterday morning. Keep in mind both Luna & Sol were just feeder mice, most likely inbred and they were pretty old. Luna was showing signs of old age a lot earlier than any of the other mice were. I think the stress of Sol dying combined with her old age was just too much for little Luna. I don't think Luna died from the same thing. Now
I have just Marshmallow and fudge. Marshmallow wasn't as young as Luna, Sol and fudge were when I get her. She was already full grown and had babies. She's pretty obese (She was already like that when I had got her) She definitely was the baby momma of her original tank. She even had a hole in her ear that looked like they purposely marked her to show she was was pregnant before. Anyways, due to her fatness she's always had a harder time breathing. She's always been a lot less active than my other mice were.
But i'm just concerned if she is or might get sick and die too. It's only been one day since Luna's death; Marshmallow and Luna did have a friendship. I could be just paranoid as Marshmallows behavior isn't really that different from how she's always been but what does concern me is that I think she isn't eating, or at least not drinking much. Her breathing is a bit heavier but I think it's just her oldness and her obesity catching up to her more. She does eat somewhat, she stopped eating her usual mix but she still eats lettuce, very slowly but she does eat quite a lot of it and seem to pee a lot so I think she is still drinking water. It's only been a day.
She just could be depressed! I mean she's always gotten stressed out a lot easier than my other mice ever have. Meanwhile my little fudge is no different and is not effected at all (She is a new mouse, barley had her for a month). She's still a silly hyper young mouse and doesn't seem ill at all.
I just want to make sure that there isn't something going around, even if marshmellow does die I don't want any other new mice I get soon or fudge to get sick. Also I just did a big cleaning on their tank and toys so everything is as clean and good as new!

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

http://middyrose.deviantart.com or middyrose.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Is there a virus going around with my mice? Or just depressed? Empty Re: Is there a virus going around with my mice? Or just depressed?

Post by Peachy Sun 25 Sep 2016, 10:39 pm

How long has Marshmallow been eating less? Has she lost any weight? Have you tried offering anything special, like mealworms or scrambled eggs?

It's hard to guess at what might be going on. If your gut says it's something just related to old age, than I'd just watch her for now. If she's doing something unusual that has you concerned that she might have a respiratory infection or something that could be treated, a trip to the vet would be worth it.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Is there a virus going around with my mice? Or just depressed? Empty Re: Is there a virus going around with my mice? Or just depressed?

Post by Illumimoe666 Mon 26 Sep 2016, 1:03 am

abeona wrote:How long has Marshmallow been eating less? Has she lost any weight? Have you tried offering anything special, like mealworms or scrambled eggs?

It's hard to guess at what might be going on. If your gut says it's something just related to old age, than I'd just watch her for now. If she's doing something unusual that has you concerned that she might have a respiratory infection or something that could be treated, a trip to the vet would be worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions! It's really only been a day, she might just be a bit depressed. Fortunately she still eats and drinks some water. I'm hoping it will pass but if it continues i'll see what I can do Smile

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

http://middyrose.deviantart.com or middyrose.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down