Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for a cheap brand of food!

4 posters

Go down

looking for a cheap brand of food! Empty looking for a cheap brand of food!

Post by jess32247 Sat 01 Oct 2016, 5:31 pm

im looking for a good brand of food i can give the girls without being too expensive. i got a 2.5 pound bag of sunburst for $10 at petco about to weeks ago and its already almost gone. i realize i paid too much for it in the store and i should of gotten it online for a little bit cheaper but thats over and done, oops!

can anyone reccomend a good brand of food i can get for relatively cheap online? four girls have almost eaten through a entire bag and i have six babies that will be eating food too. i need to stock up on something soon haha.

jess32247

Back to top Go down

looking for a cheap brand of food! Empty Re: looking for a cheap brand of food!

Post by EverythingAnimal Sat 01 Oct 2016, 5:58 pm

Issue is that the cheap foods usually have little nutritional value. I know what I feed, Browns tropical carnival hamster and gerbil, is $8 2 pound bag, so your food is cheaper, but I don't know about other popular foods although most parakeet foods are similarly priced. Make sure to leave the food in until they eat mostly all of it and check for stashes around the tank before you refill the food. That might help a little if you are not doing it already. Also, keep in mind that its not good to switch their food around all that much, so try to switch to something with similar ingredients. Maybe someone else knows of a better option?

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:08 pm

2.5 pounds in two weeks with 4 mice?  Holy cow. Shocked  Are they eating that much or is a lot going to waste?  I leave the dish until they empty most of it, which is about every 2-3 days. Keep an eye out for food hoards too.  I also pay close attention to how much is lying around on tank cleaning day. If I'm seeing a lot of food under the bedding I know I've been feeding too much. On the other hand if I'm not seeing any at all, I know I'm not feeding enough.

Try to catch sales too. I know Petsmart now and then does buy 2 get 1 free sales on small animal food. You can freeze the extra bags to keep them fresh.

I agree with EverythingAnimal.  A lot of time cheap = crappy ingredients. You get what you pay for. Not to say you have to buy super expensive food. Just something to keep in mind when looking for another.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 Tue 04 Oct 2016, 12:58 pm

I understand you shouldn't change around there food often or feed something low quality, I'm just surprised about how much these little guys eat! I still have a fair amount left in the bag but I'll be ordering a bag or two soon. I actually found that walmart is selling a 2.5lb bag for about $5 which is totally fine with me. I was thinking I'd have to buy a bag of it for $10 at petco each time. jeez.

I may have been giving them too much so for the last two days I haven't been giving them as much so they can eat up the stuff they're storing. To be completely honest I've been slacking on giving them veggies so that also might be a part of it. They're going to be getting veggies each night now. Smile

jess32247

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Tue 04 Oct 2016, 5:28 pm

Interesting, I have always been surprised on how little they eat. I only I've fresh veggies every 2-3 weeks, although is really should be every week, but I mix in a bunch of dried veggies/fruits to their food every day. In my experience, my mice have always disliked fresh veggies, taking a bite or two of cucumber or carrot and leaving the rest, but they love the dried version of that same thing.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Sun 09 Oct 2016, 5:17 am

Mix the commercial mouse food (actually, hamster or parakeet food is often better) with some cheap dry goods sold for people. Rice, oats, millet, barley and whatnot is very inexpensive.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down