Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ceramics Issue?

3 posters

Go down

Ceramics Issue? Empty Ceramics Issue?

Post by MouseLover Sun 02 Oct 2016, 7:45 am

I was wondering if anyone else here has problems with condensation building up inside ceramic mouse houses/hides.
Is there any way to prevent this?

I love ceramic items as they are easy to clean, don't absorb pee and last virtually forever. But they're no good for the mice if they're making their nests damp! I actually stopped using ceramic items a while ago because of this, but noticed quite a few of you guys use them so was just wondering Confused

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Ceramics Issue? Empty Re: Ceramics Issue?

Post by CallaLily Sun 02 Oct 2016, 8:19 am

I've never noticed any condensation build up but most of my ceramic items are pretty open.  I also tend to sit them up on top of a box or something so they dont get buried in the bedding. I had 2 that I always put down in the bedding but they still had a lot of ventilation.  These were ones actually sold for small pet use - the cheese n cracker house (I dropped Crying or Very sad ) and the gourd from Petco. They have no bottoms, the entryway of course, and then a few little Windows.  Are yours more closed off?  Or perhaps there's just a much bigger temperature difference between the inside of the nest and outside in the cage? If so, bringing that outside temp up a little may help .... assuming it's on the chilly side.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 02 Oct 2016, 10:10 am

Hmmm... Perhaps it is a temperature issue... But although it may be colder in England, I tend to keep my heating on and my house is pretty warm Confused

The one with the biggest condensation issue was an acorn-shaped thing with a closed bottom. Maybe open bottom is better? I chucked it out cuz their bedding was getting so soggy Sad

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:44 pm

MouseLover wrote:The one with the biggest condensation issue was an acorn-shaped thing with a closed bottom. Maybe open bottom is better? (

All of the ceramics I've used over the years (cheese & cracker house, mushroom, gourd and acorn) have open bottoms and sat right atop the bedding with no condensation issues. They were also designed to be rodent hides so they have wide doorways and most have additional "windows" for critters to crawl through. Even though I've seen absolutely adorable ceramic items in thrift shops that would look so cute in the tank, I pass them up if the bottom is solid. The only exception is a hamster-shaped open-mouth unit with a lip and solid floor that is actually intended for use as a sand bath but which I kept in the large bin playpen as a hide -- as the playpen had only newspaper as bedding, again no issues with moisture build-up.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down