Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mouse arching back and gasping when feeding - please help

5 posters

Go down

mouse arching back and gasping when feeding - please help Empty mouse arching back and gasping when feeding - please help

Post by rtsugg Tue 05 May 2020, 5:30 pm

We found four field mice pinkies, they had nested in our lawn mower, the mother ran off and we gathered the four babies and kept them close by, and watched for two hours and she never returned. So we have been caring for them and lost one Sad - they have just opened their eyes. We have been feeding puppy milk replacement, then realized they were dehydrated and added pedialite and that helped a LOT. HOWEVER - now when feeding with a tiny glass dropper, they will drink and then arch their back and gape their mouth pawing in the air for a minute and then come back down and drink some more - they have increased this behavior and I can't find anything related to this. Please advise!

Since they have just opened their eyes, I have now added a very shallow dish of water in their box, scattered some oats (will have wild bird seed tonight) I think that if they can eat on their own more then maybe that will be better for them. We have been feeding every two hours, and last night moved to every two and a half - should we increase the timing now? Is there another way we can feed them that won't distress them so?

Would appreciate your help so much (we plan to release them at 5 weeks - and will build the shelter you suggested)
Crying or Very sad

rtsugg

flossie653 likes this post

Back to top Go down

mouse arching back and gasping when feeding - please help Empty Re: mouse arching back and gasping when feeding - please help

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 05 May 2020, 5:45 pm

I would do two things:

(1) Look online for some video of baby mice feeding from their mother and compare it to what you are seeing in your foster mousies.  See if there is similarity in the arching and pawing.  It is common for animals that feed lying down like that to "knead" at the mother's belly -- the babies don't give a thought about why they do it, but it helps to get the milk flowing. They may be gasping because they're just taking it in from you too fast -- I don't know if they have the ability, as human babies do, to breathe and drink at the same time without aspirating (an ability that we lose).

(2)  Also look online for a demonstration video to make sure you are feeding with the tiny ones in proper position.  It is fairly easy for them to drink "down the wrong pipe", and that would put milk into the breathing apparatus and could lead to fluid and infection in the lungs.  Something to most definitely work to avoid.

Hope you can find the information you need.  Best wishes to you all.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

mouse arching back and gasping when feeding - please help Empty Re: mouse arching back and gasping when feeding - please help

Post by BrendoniUrie Tue 05 May 2020, 7:04 pm

Also be sure to groom them like the mother would they can't go to the bathroom without the stimuation. Look up some examples on how to do it.

Passed away:
[/i] Jay
the Betta
BrendoniUrie
BrendoniUrie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by rtsugg Tue 05 May 2020, 7:10 pm

we have watched videos, and we have groomed and helped them use the bathroom, which we had been doing, but I appreciate your bringing that up as I hadn't mentioned it. From watching the videos, it appears they are dehydrated again, so back to the electrolytes in a diluted formula - every two hours - the two girls are the most active, but the boy is more lethargic Sad He ate a lot, got a full belly, so massaged his abdomen as instructed from a video.

rtsugg

flossie653 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Tue 05 May 2020, 8:18 pm

Please please see a wildlife rehabilitator. They have plenty of experience in this sort of thing and licensing to keep wild animals for an extended amount of time (which is illegal otherwise). I know it’s hard, but passing them onto an experienced professional will give them their best shot at surviving when released back into the wild.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by rtsugg Wed 06 May 2020, 9:53 am

Thank you, taking to a rehabilitator.

rtsugg

Back to top Go down

mouse arching back and gasping when feeding - please help Empty Same issue

Post by Brent Wed 24 Aug 2022, 9:42 am

Hi there did you ever learn what the issue was?
I have an orphaned baby mouse that I’ve raised for the last week and a half.
It just started the same behaviour, eat from the feeder syringe and the ball up, arch it’s back and paw at the air, sometimes for quite a while.
If you are still around and heard anything regarding it I would love to hear it!
Thank you
Brent

Edit: for the next guy Smile
Turns out the formula was too thick.
Apparently I was trying to wean her too fast.
I had been adding a little powdered baby food to her formula as I had been unable to get her to sample it cold in a dish like CreekValleyCritters on YouTube which of course has been an excellent help.
In any case, switching back to kitten formula has eradicated the gasping/pawing thing.
I have added some extra dilution to the formula these last few rounds as she is also dehydrated.
Now just have to get her to eat solids!
Thanks for the forum Smile

Brent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down