Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mesh Wheels with cross bars

4 posters

Go down

Mesh Wheels with cross bars Empty Mesh Wheels with cross bars

Post by CanadianExport Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

I have seen a lot of you have the mesh wheels with cross bars in your cages with multiple mice, have you ever had any issues with mice getting bonked or caught by the cross bars when they are running on them or getting on and off? That was always my concern with them and why I chose comfort wheels instead. Do these wheels tend to stink less than the solid wheels? I find that I have to clean my wheels almost every day with the comfort wheel and silent spinner. The link is below for the wheels I mean.

http://pilot.petsmart.com/small-pet/supplies/toys-and-habitat-accessories/kaytee-run-around-exercise-wheel-14614.html?cgid=600014
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Mesh Wheels with cross bars Empty Re: Mesh Wheels with cross bars

Post by MouseLover Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:43 pm

I don't use mesh wheels, but have wondered the same thing.

Also - for doing quick wheel clean ups, in between cage-cleanings, I sometimes use baby wipes Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:52 pm

My mesh wheels get gross and sticky if I leave them too long, but I don't have to clean them as often as my solid wheels. I rinse them when I pull them out to oil them, like twice a week.

My girls usually slow down for each other to climb on, and if they don't the other mouse just finds something else to do for a minute. They might poke their heads in to try to jump on but move back quick enough to dodge the bar. Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:56 pm

I was nervous about that too in the beginning but after watching them on it for a while, I'm not as worried about anything happening. I'm sure there could be a freak accident (on any wheel really) but I'm pretty confident that it's not at all common. At least when you're talking about mice, there's plenty of room between the stand and the cross bars. EDIT: The question about the cross bars is actually mentioned here on this thread too. Why Are Mesh Wheels Safe?

I find I don't have to clean it as often as the silent spinner but it does still need cleaning 1-2 times a week.

You could always just go with a mesh wheel like this instead: http://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/small-animal/you-and-me-hamster-wheel-675.

Last edited by CallaLily on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:04 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : adding and then fixing link and other typos)

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:00 pm

I tried one of those once but the wheel was so low that the bedding would prevent the wheel from turning so I returned it and got the silent spinner and then an 8" comfort wheel cause at the time the cross bars scared me too much at the time.

Thanks for the input!
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down