Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Scatter feed or not to Scatter feed

5 posters

Go down

To Scatter feed or not to Scatter feed Empty To Scatter feed or not to Scatter feed

Post by mouseman Wed 14 Dec 2016, 7:16 am

That is the question, I'd love to hear the opinions of everyone so I have a little background before deciding how I'd like to feed my first mouse. Thanks for all your suggestions!
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

To Scatter feed or not to Scatter feed Empty Re: To Scatter feed or not to Scatter feed

Post by CallaLily Wed 14 Dec 2016, 7:38 am

I prefer to put their main food in a dish, and scatter healthy treats around for them to find. I just find it easier to keep track of how much they're eating, though of course some of them will hoard food but that's usually pretty easy to spot too.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

To Scatter feed or not to Scatter feed Empty Re: To Scatter feed or not to Scatter feed

Post by Peachy Wed 14 Dec 2016, 12:53 pm

I do it both ways... I like bowls, but some of my girls like to just kick all the food out of the bowls and then dig through it, so I usually scatter for them. I scatter feed for my itchy-scratchy boy too... keeps him busy. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 15 Dec 2016, 1:41 am

I do both. After a while you will get an idea of how much they actually eat per week after you clean the tanks and see what's left over. Some of my mice kick food out of the bowls, so I never really know how much food they really have just by looking at the bowl.

They love foraging around for food. But even if you scatter feed, it's good to keep a little bowl anyway, so you know that they always have food. There's just no way to know how much of the scattered food they've eaten until you clean the tank at the end of the week. Also, some people have concerns about how sanitary it is since they pee/poop everywhere but that's just mice being mice and how it is in the wild for sure.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Thu 15 Dec 2016, 3:19 am

I prefer a bowl of food and scatter treats around after play time. It helps me keep track of what he's eating better. Sure he hoards his food, but its easy to see, but I find it the easiest way to know when he needs a top up.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down