Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transporting Mice via Train

3 posters

Go down

Transporting Mice via Train Empty Transporting Mice via Train

Post by theo1231231 Sun 18 Dec 2016, 9:14 am

Im considering taking my 3 female mice with me when I go home for Christmas. Il be away for 1/2 weeks,but I could leave them here and someone will be around to look after them,but theyd get better care from me.

I havent taken them out of my room since I got them, their about 3 months old.

I have a carrier for them, its got a water bottle and food place and hidey hole.

My main concern is this, I could be waiting at a freezing cold train station for up to an hour, this is a possibility, I dont want them to get cold and die.. I am also going to be leaving the station to meet my friend for a few hours, we might want to hang out outside.

Im just wondering if its ok to take them outside if I keep the cage wrapped up on something? Maybe leave a few gaps for air?

Im really unsure about them being outside in the travel cage?? Just concerned that they might be cold.

Any suggestions? Advice? Should I just leave them here and not risk it? It would be nice to have them for xmas but not if its dangerous for them.

Thank you x
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Transporting Mice via Train Empty Re: Transporting Mice via Train

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 18 Dec 2016, 9:33 am

If you have someone who can definitely look after them, leave them at home. Travel by train isn't bad, but the long waiting periods in the cold could make them sick, and you may or may not have access to vet care over your vacation.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 18 Dec 2016, 11:10 am

I wouldn't risk it. Mice have such delicate immune systems... You would be exposing them to several unnecessary risk factors: Being outside, exposure to cold, and stress, to name a few.

If you have someone available to care for them while you are away, your mice will be fine with basic care.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Mon 02 Jan 2017, 11:18 am

Thank you both for your advice,I left them at home and they were fine with basic care although they werent handled much while i was away, and now they are more scared of me than before, Im sure theyl get used to me again.

Anyway I have a concern about this train issue. I cant keep relying on my housemate to look after the mice. Im wondering if you have any tips for train transport? Is it something people do much? Would it be okay if I covered the cage up with a blanket or something while waiting for train changes? (how to keep mice warm outside?) Or would it be better if I got a coach instead?

Sorry for rambling, Im just concerned about this as I may have to be traveling a bit when I go to university, and maybe I have to take the mice back to the breeder =(

theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 02 Jan 2017, 11:22 am

Two questions. How come you can't ask your housemate to watch your mice? Are they getting sick of it or moving out? And secondly, how long do you wait for train changes, and is there any place you can wait inside? There are probably ways to do it but it's just so risky. Train transport itself is fine, it's just waiting in the cold that makes it risky.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down