Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad "Laughing" Noise, Even Though I've Been Giving Antibiotics

+2
CallaLily
Plazmotech
6 posters

Go down

Bad "Laughing" Noise, Even Though I've Been Giving Antibiotics Empty Bad "Laughing" Noise, Even Though I've Been Giving Antibiotics

Post by Plazmotech Thu 26 Jan 2017, 9:47 pm

My mice have been sick. I've only heard them sneezing, though. They were sneezing for about a week (the week that I first had them) before I took them to the vet. The vet prescribed Baytril. It seemed that they were both recovering, in fact tomorrow is the last day they're supposed to be taking it. Their sneezing pretty much is gone, or at least very uncommon. However, I just started hearing that laughing noise thats associated with a lung infection. I haven't heard this before. Is it possible that her infection somehow got worse despite giving her antibiotics every day twice daily?

In the first several days I didnt shake the baytril bottle before administering. Is it possible that the solution is now dilute??

Actually just heard sneezing again, for the first time in a while. Super concerned. Why is it getting worse????

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Bad "Laughing" Noise, Even Though I've Been Giving Antibiotics Empty Re: Bad "Laughing" Noise, Even Though I've Been Giving Antibiotics

Post by Plazmotech Thu 26 Jan 2017, 9:49 pm

Also I noticed that the baytril has some like white clouds floating in it. That's normal, right?

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Bad "Laughing" Noise, Even Though I've Been Giving Antibiotics Empty Re: Bad "Laughing" Noise, Even Though I've Been Giving Antibiotics

Post by CallaLily Sat 28 Jan 2017, 8:36 am

I'm not sure what you mean by a laughing noise but if you think your mouse isn't getting better I would call the vet back and see what they think. Can you catch the noise on video to share?

No idea about the cloudy baytril. I've never noticed that when my mice have been on it. Confused

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 28 Jan 2017, 8:59 am

Can you get a video? I think I know what it is but I can't be sure until I hear it.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Sun 29 Jan 2017, 3:47 am

Sometimes Baytril combined with Doxycycline is the best way to go if they aren't improving.

Sneezing?  Is more an allergen thing than an infection thing.  

Is it sneezing you've heard or clicking noises?  

Is it possible your mice are allergic to something in their cage?  You've mentioned they started sneezing for the first week, is it possible box shock?

What kind of bedding do you have?  Is it dusty at all?

For your questions, yes infections can get worst.  If the antibiotics aren't working.   Cloudyness in the bottle is not a good sign but it could be a temperature thing or it could be that your baytril is mixed with a flavouring agent that is caking up.  If it's mostly clear it should be fine, baytril doesn't go bad for about a year if properly stored. Not shaking the bottle shouldn't matter.

There is only really 3 possibilities. I would have no idea which is more likely.

1. They need a different antibiotic to go with the baytril
2. The noises you are hearing now are normal mice noises and you are being paranoid
3. They are allergic to something

As others are saying if you could post the noises they are making it could help.
Adding Doxycycline is probably the safest route.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech Fri 03 Feb 2017, 12:29 am

Hey guys! Thanks for your concern. Sorry I haven't checked back on the forum! I administered the antibiotics until the end of the cycle and now they're doing amazing. I'm so happy they've recovered. I haven't heard a single sneeze in several days! Also, I didnt head the "laughing"/wheezing noise again, she seemed to only have it that day. They seem much happier now that I've stopped giving them antiobiotics and they dont have to fear me! The shy one now LOVES me. I set her down in a play area and she does one loop around then comes back and crawls into my hand. She loves being on my hands and running up and down my arms. It's so weird cause just a week ago she HATED me and was super shy.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 03 Feb 2017, 3:27 am

I think animals are much smarter than we give them credit for. They understand that they feel better after medication and that they have you to thank for it. That doesn't mean they have to like taking it! People are always scared their pets will hate them if they force meds on them but I have never found that to be the case! Glad to hear your little lady has warmed up Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by VgKing Thu 09 Feb 2017, 5:04 am

It looks like your mice could be suffering from an allergy. Check you house to make sure there are no possible allergens.

VgKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down