Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with antibiotics

3 posters

Go down

Help with antibiotics Empty Help with antibiotics

Post by HereMouseyMousey Sat 08 Jul 2017, 7:22 am

Two days ago, I took my little one to the vet as she's been sneezing for a nearly a week but was otherwise healthy. The vet prescribed some doxycycline liquid and told me to give her 0.01ml twice a day.
However, I've tried nearly every tactic to get her to take the medicine, by syringe and by mixing with other foods such as peanut butter and some roudybush formula that the vet gave me yet none have worked.  

I feel I am traumatizing her every time I try to force feed her and its stressing me and my mouse out. The best I've been able to do is to put a little bit on her fur and watch her groom it off though I don't think this is the most effective or accurate method. Is there anything else I can do to easily administer her the medicine? Worry

HereMouseyMousey

Back to top Go down

Help with antibiotics Empty Re: Help with antibiotics

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 08 Jul 2017, 9:46 am

Hi, I've never had to give my mouse any meds, thank goodness, but when I used to have rats one had gotten URI several times. She didn't want the meds from the syringe and I didn't want to stress her out by forcing the issue, so I got some peanut butter cereal that had lots of crevasses and would put the dose of meds into that and she loved it! She looked forward to that everyday, so much so that after she was done with her meds, she still got a piece of that cereal everyday for the rest of her life. And her cage mate got the cereal everyday too. I'm sure other members of the forum would have some tricks to medicating mice.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 08 Jul 2017, 9:49 am

Aw, yeah sometimes mice just aren't having it!  Especially if they aren't tame.  So, two methods work for me.  The first one is the burrito method.  Get a wash cloth  and wrap them up with the head poking out.  Get a grip and shove in their mouth.  The other method is to stick them on your chest so they cling on then scruff them and shove  the meds in their mouth.  They are too busy clinging on to fight too much.  If that fails, sometimes you have to put it on their fur.... But in that case i double the dose to make sure they are getting enough meds.  It's not as accurate as one like but sometime mice just won't cooperate.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down