Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depression, overgrooming, and a cough

3 posters

Go down

Depression, overgrooming, and a cough Empty Depression, overgrooming, and a cough

Post by anonymouse Sun 29 Jan 2017, 8:59 pm

My mouse, Popcorn, lived with her mom, Hershey, up until Hersh died about two weeks ago. In the time since, Popcorn has been obviously depressed, overgrooming herself, and developed a sore throat (it's not really even a cough, or even exactly raspy, but it sounds like she's chattering even when she's not, if that makes sense. it's more obvious when she is excited). It took me until this weekend to find more female companions for her (now they can be a trio, once this is sorted).

Hershey did not have any of these symptoms, so I don't think she caught them from her. My feeling is that it's a stress response, and that with company she'll probably get better with her companions and taper these symptoms off*, but I wanted a second opinion. Her overgrooming is already improved (she scratched her ear into bleeding and had some scrapes in the beginning, and is down to more minimal signs now), and I think her breathing is gentler, so I'm hopeful.

If it does continue, I will, of course, have her checked for a URI. If it wasn't for the other factors, I would have sooner.

*I am treating them all for mites, part because there are new ones and part in case that's the true cause of her overgrooming

anonymouse

Back to top Go down

Depression, overgrooming, and a cough Empty Re: Depression, overgrooming, and a cough

Post by CallaLily Sun 29 Jan 2017, 9:07 pm

Is the noise with every breath or more random? Any chance you could capture the noise on video and share?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Depression, overgrooming, and a cough Empty Re: Depression, overgrooming, and a cough

Post by anonymouse Sun 29 Jan 2017, 9:50 pm

Most breaths, especially when she's breathing harder (like I said, it's more noticeable when she's excited). Unfortunately I can't capture the sound, I've tried but it doesn't pick up.

Edited to add:
!!!! actually

I just picked her up because I hadn't heard it as much today, and originally assumed it was just because I moved her house. My husband and I agreed, she's significantly quieter today. Still the same pattern, but less than half the volume.

anonymouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 30 Jan 2017, 9:03 am

Getting her friends should curb the problem, but I would also treat her like an OCD case to make sure none of these behaviors become habitual. Do the three week quarantine, keep an eye on her breathing, and then see if she improves once you can introduce.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by anonymouse Mon 30 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I am glad that apparently I posted just as she was starting to cheer up a bit, or something. She's still overgrooming and tends to have wet and thin patches, but last week she was giving herself scabs, and those are all closed now. The frog in her throat is a little quieter again today (although I've got her excited just now and it's definitely there), and it's not happening when she sleeps or eats anymore. Here's hoping it's not just a humidity change or anything, and that it is actually fading.

anonymouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down