Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions

+2
Ealexander
CallaLily
6 posters

Go down

Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Empty Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions

Post by CallaLily Sat 07 May 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally posted by @Norman's Mom on The Fun Mouse forum. Please do not reproduce in any way without permission.
So, with the Holidays just around corner, it's time to start thinking of presents for our Meeple! These are my creations. I discovered some time ago that lone mice, especially our little males, do a lot better when they have a "binkie" of sorts...a little stuffed animal "Fake Friend" to keep them company when you aren't there. They love them, sometimes they groom or sleep with them, other times, they shred them, but the point is that it's a safe, fun toy to make for them, and it doubles as a psychological comfort for those meeces that cannot have other Murine company.

I have often suggested these for members over the years when they experience a bout of loneliness for a mouse, and it works wonders. Once, I did write out instructions on how to make them, but I thought that a step-by-step instruction log would help more because people can see what I mean. So, here it is, pictures and all...

HOW TO MAKE A "FAKE FRIEND":

Materials:
1.) 2 pieces of felt (found at your local art-craft's store...I find mine at Micheal's) Make sure it is plain felt...color doesn't matter, but sometimes they have squares that are infused with glitter or something, and those kind can't be used.

2.) thread made of hemp, or mono-filament/transparent Nylon, not cotton...also found at the craft store. i generally use mom-filament, it's thin and strong, and makes for invisible seams, the mice can't pull it out easily, or chew on it well.

3.) A sewing needle
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg10

Take one of the squares of felt and fold in half. With your scissors, cut a mouse-sized and shaped oval, with the "nose" of the FF at the fold. Cut the two pieces at the fold so that you have identical ovals of felt.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg11
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg12

Now, you can mix and match colors if you want, for this, I chose green. Cut out two "ears", "eyes" and a "tail" from the felt, using the same technique as you did to cut the Body of the FF with the "ears" so that the ears are the same size.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg13
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg14
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg15

Now, take your needle and thread, and being to sew the two Body halves together, using loop-stitches.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg16
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg17

Sew all the way around the body, but leave the end open.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg18

Now, turn your FF inside out.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg37
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg20

Once turned inside out, leave it aside and start cutting out small strips of felt from any leftover felt you might have. This is the stuffing. I like to use all kinds of different colors, that way, when they do finally destroy it, they will strew their tanks with fabulous and pretty bright colors. LOL! You can also use newspaper strips to stuff the FF.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg21
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg22

Now, once stuffed, take the "Tail" and sew it into the lining of the FF while you close up the hole.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg23

On to the ears. Take one of the small ears and pinch it at the base as to create the "fold" of an ear. Sew this together.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg24
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg25
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg26

Now, sew the ear onto the body of the FF.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg27
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg28

Now, do the eyes:
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg29
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg30

Almost done! Lastly, add the whiskers! Take the remaining thread you have and knot it, leaving a bit of thread after the knot:
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg31

Pull the thread through the nose and knot on the otherside:
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg32
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg33

Voila! A bona-fide Fake Friend!
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg34
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg35
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Tanksg36

Now, you do not have to make ears, eyes or tails, a mouse-shaped oval stuffed toy will work, but I like to make it look as mousey as possible (cuz I think it's cute) LOL

Have fun with this, I would love to see any and all versions of FF's all of you come up with posted right here! You can wash these as well, they make it through a washing machine just fine...although if you use paper-stuffing, they will become ruined.

Happy Mousing, everyone!

Last edited by CallaLily on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 4:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Empty Had some fake friend shenanigans last night

Post by Ealexander Thu 26 May 2016, 7:58 pm

My mouse Eddie has two blue fake friends that I call his wrestlebuddies. He's got weird habits with them. About every other day I find one or the other carefully arranged on his pumice stone, for example. Not sure what the significance is for him. Anyways, Sunday and Wednesday is Salad Night for Eddie. Last night's salad was a piece of angel hair, some butter lettuce, and apple bits. I started using a tiny glass bowl for salads this past weekend. I drop off his salad, he grabs a piece of lettuce and dashes off to eat it. I come back in an hour or so and the salad is gone. And... in the bowl? One wrestlebuddy sitting on the last piece of apple.
Ealexander
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

animalgirl555 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Empty Re: Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions

Post by CallaLily Fri 27 May 2016, 8:42 am

Laughing He wanted to share the last bit with his buddy. Too cute.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Empty Re: Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 25 Sep 2016, 1:46 am

I made a fake friend for Scout, but Scout just ate him. Giggling

Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 25 Sep 2016, 10:50 am

Too funny! None of my mice have been head over heels for fake friends... Yoshi likes to chew off ears and tails and then doesn't touch it again. Laughing
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 25 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

Haha

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MimzytheBun Mon 14 Nov 2016, 3:54 am

Thanks for the tutorial! I used hemp string and a big quilting needle, turned out pretty good if I do say so myself Smile Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions Y7Wz4RU
Lola is waiting on babies or a friend, so I thought this might help in the inbetween. I stuffed mine with some of her bedding so it would smell like her, though so far she has been using it as just an interesting chew toy Wink

Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

Back to top Go down

Post by AR4Life Thu 28 Jun 2018, 6:05 am

Can the pre-made mouse-cat toys out of the store suffice?

AR4Life

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 28 Jun 2018, 9:55 am

AR4Life wrote:Can the pre-made mouse-cat toys out of the store suffice?

If they’re made out of mouse-safe materials.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down