Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Reach the Next Step in Taming.

2 posters

Go down

How to Reach the Next Step in Taming. Empty How to Reach the Next Step in Taming.

Post by ian_minatani Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:56 pm

I've had two mice for ~1 month now, and im aware it may take multiple months to bond with mice. I have managed to pick them up (have them crawl into my hand) and lift them during the second week of having them. I also have gotten them to nibble crushed cashews out of my hand. They no longer crawl into my hand so i can pick them up, and whenever I (tried twice) slowly move my hand in a gentle motion, palm up as to go under them, to scoop them, they scurry off.

My question is: How can i reach the next step in taming, picking them up.

Any advice is welcome, thank you Smile

ian_minatani

Back to top Go down

How to Reach the Next Step in Taming. Empty Re: How to Reach the Next Step in Taming.

Post by CallaLily Fri 09 Mar 2018, 8:01 am

The first thing I always recommend is to get them out of their home for taming sessions (if you’re not already). I use a tube or box to move them over until they are willing to climb on my hand from their home.  I find things move along better in a safe neutral play space. Then it’s just time and patience.

Most of my mice have been quicker to climb on my hand in the play area than from their home.  Once they start climbing on my hand (I don’t like to scoop them unless absolutely necessary. I like to give them the choice, even if it means a slower taming process) I move on to introducing movement. I slowly move them from one area of the play bin to the other and let them hop down. It’s not long before they’re running back to start, begging for another ride. Once they’re very comfortable with that game and your hands you can start lifting them out. Some mice do enjoy just hanging out on your shoulder or in a pocket, and that can become the routine for bonding/play time. Other mice don’t seem to enjoy that, so for them I just stick with bonding/play in the play bin.

For very shy mice that just won’t climb on my hand, I use a designated tube to play the ride game with. I stick to the same tube so that they can make the choice of climbing into it. Rides are the same except when it’s time to hop down they must step on my hand to do so.  First they dart quickly, barely touching my hand. But soon they’re more comfortable and step out onto my hand more calmly. From there we try switching to climbing on my hand for rides and on the same way.

Sometimes you’ll find they take a few steps back in the taming process. This just means they need to take things a little slower, so just go back a step in the process and keep trying. Most mice come around eventually. It can help to try to establish a routine. Do taming/play sessions the same time/s every day. Starting out with shorter time periods and gradually moving up as they adjust. Try using the same phrase or noise every time you go to get them out for play. Many mice will catch on to this. You can also use this for other things, like when you want them to climb on your hand or when play time is over. Try not to change the type of soap or lotion you use if it can be helped. And I’m sure it goes without saying to always be gentle and patient. Good luck. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

How to Reach the Next Step in Taming. Empty Re: How to Reach the Next Step in Taming.

Post by ian_minatani Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:40 pm

CallaLily wrote:The first thing I always recommend is to get them out of their home for taming sessions (if you’re not already).  I use a tube or box to move them over until they are willing to climb on my hand from their home.  I find things move along better in a safe neutral play space. Then it’s just time and patience.

Most of my mice have been quicker to climb on my hand in the play area than from their home.  Once they start climbing on my hand (I don’t like to scoop them unless absolutely necessary. I like to give them the choice, even if it means a slower taming process) I move on to introducing movement. I slowly move them from one area of the play bin to the other and let them hop down. It’s not long before they’re running back to start, begging for another ride. Once they’re very comfortable with that game and your hands you can start lifting them out. Some mice do enjoy just hanging out on your shoulder or in a pocket, and that can become the routine for bonding/play time. Other mice don’t seem to enjoy that, so for them I just stick with bonding/play in the play bin.

For very shy mice that just won’t climb on my hand, I use a designated tube to play the ride game with. I stick to the same tube so that they can make the choice of climbing into it. Rides are the same except when it’s time to hop down they must step on my hand to do so.  First they dart quickly, barely touching my hand. But soon they’re more comfortable and step out onto my hand more calmly. From there we try switching to climbing on my hand for rides and on the same way.

Sometimes you’ll find they take a few steps back in the taming process. This just means they need to take things a little slower, so just go back a step in the process and keep trying. Most mice come around eventually.  It can help to try to establish a routine. Do taming/play sessions the same time/s every day. Starting out with shorter time periods and gradually moving up as they adjust. Try using the same phrase or noise every time you go to get them out for play. Many mice will catch on to this. You can also use this for other things, like when you want them to climb on your hand or when play time is over. Try not to change the type of soap or lotion you use if it can be helped.  And I’m sure it goes without saying to always be gentle and patient. Good luck. Smile

Thank you so much! I will try all of this, thanks a million, Smile

ian_minatani

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down