Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster.

+3
River
scaredymouse
Rodents rock!
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Empty I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster.

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 4:18 pm

Hi all -

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster at some point and had a few questions.
I've been getting a few accessories for my future Syrian and I've even ordered him a personalize bowl!
His name will be Cam (short for Cameron)
His tank theme is going to be a Florida theme of pink flamingos!

Is a 20 gallon long tank a good size for a Syrian?

What size wheel is best for a Syrian?

Any tips would be welcome!

Thank you!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Empty Re: I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster.

Post by scaredymouse Mon 17 Apr 2017, 4:29 pm

I've got a few Syrians and they should have a 40g tank. A 20g tank is really too small, in fact I don't even think you can fit a proper sized wheel in a 20g tank. Most syrians get pretty big and do best on a 12" wheel. They like silent spinners pretty well but I think the best wheel on the market is the Carolina Storm bucket wheel. You can get them on Etsy. They are homemade by a nice guy named Larry...they aren't the prettiest but they are silent, sturdy, adjustable and easy to clean. I love them and so do the hams.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Empty Re: I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster.

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 4:36 pm

Thank you for your advise Scaredy. I appreciate it.
So I will either get a 40 gallon tank or do an extra large bin cage.
I will check out those wheels, thanks for the info!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 4:57 pm

I just looked at the Carolina Storm Bucket wheels and they look awesome!
Thanks so much, Scaredy, for your advise and recommendation.
When I'm ready to get a wheel, that is definitely the one I will get.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 17 Apr 2017, 5:02 pm

I'd say 40g is the best for a syrian as well. Or larger! Generally, it's agreed that hamsters like as much space as is possible. I believe the minimum for Syrian's is 450 sq in. In the past, it was 360, but it's since been raised so beware of outdated information.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 6:11 pm

Thanks River Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 17 Apr 2017, 8:16 pm

Yes, bigger is almost always better with hamsters. How exciting! I hope you'll share pics. Cool

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:49 pm

I have a syrian so hopefully I can add some input!

As others have said, all hamsters need at least 450 square inches of space. Syrians are reommended to have above 600, a 40 gallon breeder tank is a great option.

I use the Carolina Storm Express wheel instead of bucket. It's smaller so it takes up less space. (Bucket is wider.) 10/10 wheel.

Tilly loves whimzees, mason jars, tissue boxes, her sandpit, and her igloo. I'd recommend whimzees so much if you don't already have any.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:50 pm

CallaLily wrote:Yes, bigger is almost always better with hamsters. How exciting!  I hope you'll share pics. Cool

Yes, whenever I get the housing finished and get a Syrian hamster I will for sure share photos. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 17 Apr 2017, 10:54 pm

PastelMouse wrote:I have a syrian so hopefully I can add some input!

As others have said, all hamsters need at least 450 square inches of space. Syrians are reommended to have above 600, a 40 gallon breeder tank is a great option.

I use the Carolina Storm Express wheel instead of bucket. It's smaller so it takes up less space. (Bucket is wider.) 10/10 wheel.

Tilly loves whimzees, mason jars, tissue boxes, her sandpit, and her igloo. I'd recommend whimzees so much if you don't already have any.
Hi Pastel, thanks for the info, I appreciate it! What are whimzees?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 17 Apr 2017, 11:25 pm

Whimzees are dog chews if I'm not wrong! My dogs are all huge fans and I've contemplated giving them to mice. Here's a URL.
https://www.chewy.com/whimzees-alligator-dental-dog-treats/dp/127088?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product%20Targets&utm_term=4584688609950180&utm_content=Whimzees
They also come in toothbrush shapes and smaller sizes. I believe most pet shops sell them.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:01 am

River wrote:Whimzees are dog chews if I'm not wrong! My dogs are all huge fans and I've contemplated giving them to mice. Here's a URL.
https://www.chewy.com/whimzees-alligator-dental-dog-treats/dp/127088?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product%20Targets&utm_term=4584688609950180&utm_content=Whimzees
They also come in toothbrush shapes and smaller sizes. I believe most pet shops sell them.

Oh ok thanks, I will have to look for those Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Tue 18 Apr 2017, 1:59 pm

My Syrian, Imogene, lives in an enormous bin cage (48x17) made from an IRIS Christmas Tree Storage case. I cut out a large section of the lid and inserted hardware cloth so she'd have plenty of air and the grid also items to be suspended (i.e. various bird chew toys). Before her relo to the bin in January, she was definitely cramped in a 20L tank and always wanted to escape; since moving to the "palatial estate", she's actually calmer as she has more room to tunnel and run around.

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Imos%20IRIS%20bin%20cage%205_zpsrem5ozsm

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Screws%20nuts%20washers%20and%20zipties_zpszc1aipv1

The decor is now a bit different from the picture below but you can see the beloved large purple Carolina Storm wheel at the far end.

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Imos%20IRIS%20bin%20cage%201_zpssx6xjn19

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 18 Apr 2017, 4:25 pm

MesaMouse wrote:My Syrian, Imogene, lives in an enormous bin cage (48x17) made from an IRIS Christmas Tree Storage case. I cut out a large section of the lid and inserted hardware cloth so she'd have plenty of air and the grid also items to be suspended (i.e. various bird chew toys). Before her relo to the bin in January, she was definitely cramped in a 20L tank and always wanted to escape; since moving to the "palatial estate", she's actually calmer as she has more room to tunnel and run around.

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Imos%20IRIS%20bin%20cage%205_zpsrem5ozsm

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Screws%20nuts%20washers%20and%20zipties_zpszc1aipv1

The decor is now a bit different from the picture below but you can see the beloved large purple Carolina Storm  wheel at the far end.

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. Imos%20IRIS%20bin%20cage%201_zpssx6xjn19

Hi Mesa - thank you for the info! The photos didn't show up - could you send them again as I would LOVE to see them!
Thank you Dance
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Tue 18 Apr 2017, 6:40 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:
River wrote:Whimzees are dog chews if I'm not wrong! My dogs are all huge fans and I've contemplated giving them to mice. Here's a URL.

Oh ok thanks, I will have to look for those Smile

I get mine from petsmart. I recommend the alligators, because when Tilly gets a toothbrush the shoves the whole thing in her cheek pouch which I worry can cause a break. (I cut them in half and smooth down any sharp pieces from said cut.)

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next