Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster

+2
CallaLily
Rodents rock!
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster Empty Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 18 May 2018, 2:50 pm

Currently my Syrian hamster, Bear is in a bin cage which is 450 square inches. I want something bigger for him. I was going to build something and went and priced some things at Home Depot today. I didn't buy anything because I wanted to give it some more thought. Then I remembered about the Iris Christmas Tree bin and it being super big. So I looked it up on the Walmart website and it's $37.40 and free shipping. I figured up the square inches and it comes to 1,113 square inches!!! I'm pretty excited about it, should arrive Wednesday. As soon as I get it and get it all set up, I will take and share photos. If anyone has used the Iris Christmas Tree bin for a hamster habitat, let me know how you like it. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster Empty Re: Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster

Post by CallaLily Fri 18 May 2018, 7:53 pm

One down side to the Iris Christmas tree bin is it’s not very deep. Overall it’s 14 inches tall but less actual height inside. The 12 inch silent spinner barely fit after removing the base and attaching it to the side of the bin. But other than that I liked using it for my son’s Chinese hamster.

The inside space is actually just under 800 square inches. If I’m remembering right, the inside measurements are around 47 * 17 inches. But it seemed nice and spacious for Hamtaro. In the future I may get a Roborovski hamster to keep in it. Very Happy

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster Empty Re: Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 18 May 2018, 8:01 pm

I hope it works out for Bear. Could you tell me the exact height without the lid? Is it a full 12 inches?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 18 May 2018, 8:06 pm

It’s a little over 11 inches without the lid. The lid gives it a little more height though - maybe 2 inches more.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 18 May 2018, 8:23 pm

Thank you for the measurements. I hope it works. How did you do the ventilation in the lid on yours? Does your son still have his Chinese hamster? I used to have one, Sweet Pea. Actually he was my first hamster. He was a sweetheart.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 19 May 2018, 1:49 pm

Can't wait to see your set up! I love upgrades Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 20 May 2018, 11:57 am

Rodents rock! wrote:Thank you for the measurements. I hope it works. How did you do the ventilation in the lid on yours? Does your son still have his Chinese hamster? I used to have one, Sweet Pea. Actually he was my first hamster. He was a sweetheart.

You’re welcome. I have some pictures in this thread: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t1116p45-chinese-hamster.

No. Hamtaro passed away in March so the bin sits empty right now. She was very shy but also very sweet. There should also be some pics of her in that thread, if you’re interested.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 20 May 2018, 2:41 pm

CallaLily wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:Thank you for the measurements. I hope it works. How did you do the ventilation in the lid on yours? Does your son still have his Chinese hamster? I used to have one, Sweet Pea. Actually he was my first hamster. He was a sweetheart.

You’re welcome. I have some pictures in this thread: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t1116p45-chinese-hamster.

No. Hamtaro passed away in March so the bin sits empty right now. She was very shy but also very sweet.  There should also be some pics of her in that thread, if you’re interested.

Awww, I'm very sorry about Hamtaro's passing. She sure was a sweetheart.
Thanks for the reminder of that thread, I enjoyed seeing those photos again.
I always love seeing photos!!!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 24 May 2018, 8:21 pm

So my bin was supposed to arrive yesterday and it didn't. And it didn't arrive today either. Worry Hopefully tomorrow.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 25 May 2018, 1:09 pm

I canceled my order with Wal-Mart as the bin was taking too long to get here - I didn't know when I would ever get it. So they are processing a refund. I was a bit concerned about the height of that bin anyway. I'm going to go another way now with extending Bear's living space. I'm going to get another bin and connect them with some PVC pipe. It will all be one level, I'm not going to stack the bins. So, probably tomorrow I will go get the other bin and the PVC pipes. Will send photos when complete.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 25 May 2018, 9:19 pm

I ended up getting some PVC pipe today during my lunch hour. And after work I got two bins. So tonight I will plug in my drill so it can charge overnight. Tomorrow I will make Bear's new habitat!!! I'm excited.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Fri 25 May 2018, 9:34 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:I ended up getting some PVC pipe today during my lunch hour. And after work I got two bins. So tonight I will plug in my drill so it can charge overnight. Tomorrow I will make Bear's new habitat!!! I'm excited.
That's great news! Very Happy

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 26 May 2018, 11:40 am

I'm so discouraged...I was working on the bins today and they both cracked Crying or Very sad  I may go get two more today, but we'll see. $15 down the drain.

I'm going to go drown my sorrows in some mac & cheese.

Any tips for not cracking bins would be much appreciated.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 26 May 2018, 9:42 pm

I don't know what you did, but when my dad did my bin he says heated up a "putty knife". I don't know what that is lol but that's what he tells me he did. He says he heated it up on the stove and cut through the lid, and it came out clean on the first try, no issues whatsoever. Just be careful about where you do it, don't burn your countertop or yourself! This is my bin that my dad modified for me, for my dwarf hammy:
Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster Img_9927

Extra large bin cage for a Syrian hamster Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 26 May 2018, 11:11 pm

Thank you AMO, I appreciate the suggestion. I will have to wait two weeks till next payday to be able to purchase more bins. Your bin looks really nice. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next