Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster.

+3
River
scaredymouse
Rodents rock!
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster.

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 18 Apr 2017, 8:03 pm

PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:
River wrote:Whimzees are dog chews if I'm not wrong! My dogs are all huge fans and I've contemplated giving them to mice. Here's a URL.
https://www.chewy.com/whimzees-alligator-dental-dog-treats/dp/127088?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product%20Targets&utm_term=4584688609950180&utm_content=Whimzees
They also come in toothbrush shapes and smaller sizes. I believe most pet shops sell them.

Oh ok thanks, I will have to look for those Smile

I get mine from petsmart. I recommend the alligators, because when Tilly gets a toothbrush the shoves the whole thing in her cheek pouch which I worry can cause a break. (I cut them in half and smooth down any sharp pieces from said cut.)

Thank you for the tip Pastel Very Happy I love the name Tilly, so cute. Could you send me photos of Tilly and her setup?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster.

Post by PastelMouse Tue 18 Apr 2017, 9:31 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:Thank you for the tip Pastel Very Happy  I love the name Tilly, so cute. Could you send me photos of Tilly and her setup?

Sure thing! I believe it's a custom tank, I got it from craigslist for $20. 720 square inches with a CSEW wheel. If you have any questions please feel free to ask them. Some photos are of her, then some past cage setups. The one with green paint is more recent. As you can see I have a terrible phone camera but they work well enough. Smile Tilly loves her PVC pipe, I'd totally recommend it. My current setup is like the green one but I added a small puzzle playground build and her large mason jar, with kaytee clean n cozy. This is me rambling so here's the photos!

https://imgur.com/a/eWTJa

Also if you haven't already check out hamster hideout, their guides are so wonderful and I learned most of my hammy knowledge from there. But like I said if you have any questions I'll tell you whatever I can to answer them!

(Also as an aside it's cool to see another member from Arizona! I also know MesaMouse is also from AZ. What else can we do in this heat but look at cute forums?)

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 18 Apr 2017, 9:54 pm

I agree with all said above. 40 gallons is pretty much the minimum recommended for syrians. I got my 40 gallon for my hamster, Blue, at Petco during the dollar per gallon sale. Just beware that they do charge tax on the full price of the item (Not the sale price)! I was charged quite a bit of tax... With the cheapest lid there, it was about $70 for the tank and the lid. DIY is also a good option if you are handy, because you can make it as big as you want! Bigger is pretty much always better for hamsters. I agree with the wheel size, some sites will recommend starting with 8 inches, but they will likely outgrow that and end up needing about 12 inches. My Blue has a 12 inch comfort wheel and he LOVES it, but it is so incredibly noisy. Normally squeaky wheels and such don't bother me, but this isn't a squeak, it is a loud rattling noise that sounds like a train lol. Just beware of the noise. I have heard a lot of good things about Carolina Storm wheels, but I have also heard they are kinda bulky and hard to fit in the tank. I can't say I've ever had one though, so I don't know if that's true or not. Also, DEEP BEDDING! They LOVE to burrow. Blue has about 9 inches of bedding in his tank, because he loves to burrow. Hamsters also need a lot of protein, an easy way to make a proper diet is to just mix a bag of Higgins Sunburst hamster and gerbil food with a bag of Mazuri mouse and rat food. I agree Whimzees are great chews! Just give them in moderation, as hamsters will eat them up quickly, and you don't want them to have too much.
I know you didn't ask for pictures of my setup or my hamster, but I thought I'd share some anyway, because I like to share pictures  Razz
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Blue_h10
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Blue_m10
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Blue_m11
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Mice_h24
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Hamste10

I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:06 pm

PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:Thank you for the tip Pastel Very Happy  I love the name Tilly, so cute. Could you send me photos of Tilly and her setup?

Sure thing! I believe it's a custom tank, I got it from craigslist for $20. 720 square inches with a CSEW wheel. If you have any questions please feel free to ask them. Some photos are of her, then some past cage setups. The one with green paint is more recent. As you can see I have a terrible phone camera but they work well enough. Smile Tilly loves her PVC pipe, I'd totally recommend it. My current setup is like the green one but I added a small puzzle playground build and her large mason jar, with kaytee clean n cozy. This is me rambling so here's the photos!

https://imgur.com/a/eWTJa

Also if you haven't already check out hamster hideout, their guides are so wonderful and I learned most of my hammy knowledge from there. But like I said if you have any questions I'll tell you whatever I can to answer them!

(Also as an aside it's cool to see another member from Arizona! I also know MesaMouse is also from AZ. What else can we do in this heat but look at cute forums?)

Thanks for the photos Pastel. Much appreciated! Your set up is really nice and Tilly is adorable!
Yeah, another member from Arizona, only difference is that I'm not having to deal with the heat as I'm in Flagstaff.
It's finally starting to warm up a bit here but it's been really windy lately.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:13 pm

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:I agree with all said above. 40 gallons is pretty much the minimum recommended for syrians. I got my 40 gallon for my hamster, Blue, at Petco during the dollar per gallon sale. Just beware that they do charge tax on the full price of the item (Not the sale price)! I was charged quite a bit of tax... With the cheapest lid there, it was about $70 for the tank and the lid. DIY is also a good option if you are handy, because you can make it as big as you want! Bigger is pretty much always better for hamsters. I agree with the wheel size, some sites will recommend starting with 8 inches, but they will likely outgrow that and end up needing about 12 inches. My Blue has a 12 inch comfort wheel and he LOVES it, but it is so incredibly noisy. Normally squeaky wheels and such don't bother me, but this isn't a squeak, it is a loud rattling noise that sounds like a train lol. Just beware of the noise. I have heard a lot of good things about Carolina Storm wheels, but I have also heard they are kinda bulky and hard to fit in the tank. I can't say I've ever had one though, so I don't know if that's true or not. Also, DEEP BEDDING! They LOVE to burrow. Blue has about 9 inches of bedding in his tank, because he loves to burrow. Hamsters also need a lot of protein, an easy way to make a proper diet is to just mix a bag of Higgins Sunburst hamster and gerbil food with a bag of Mazuri mouse and rat food. I agree Whimzees are great chews! Just give them in moderation, as hamsters will eat them up quickly, and you don't want them to have too much.
I know you didn't ask for pictures of my setup or my hamster, but I thought I'd share some anyway, because I like to share pictures  Razz
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Blue_h10
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Blue_m10
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Blue_m11
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Mice_h24
I'm planning on getting a Syrian Hamster. - Page 2 Hamste10

Thank you for all the info Anonymous! And thank you for the pictures of Blue and his setup! I never get tired of looking at everyone's pets and their setups! I wrote down the names of the 2 foods you mix so I can remember that. Blue is a cutie!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:23 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:Thanks for the photos Pastel. Much appreciated! Your set up is really nice and Tilly is adorable!
Yeah, another member from Arizona, only difference is that I'm not having to deal with the heat as I'm in Flagstaff.
It's finally starting to warm up a bit here but it's been really windy lately.

Lucky goose. Razz

I love the setups with a few inches of bedding in the wheel area, but TONS in a burrowing section. I may actually change my cage tonight to look more like that.

For food I use oxbow healthy handfuls with protein supplements. I currently use mealworms, but have used Purebites cats turkey and chicken in the past. Tilly's favorite treats are leafy green like kale and romaine lettuce. (Avoid iceberg lettuce.) I also feed tiny bits of strawberry, egg white, blueberry, and cucumber as treats. I also use little baby puff treats, they look like Cheerios but they're simple ingredients and healthy-ish.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:26 pm

I'm thinking of doing a bin cage since they are a lot cheaper than a 40 gallon tank and lid. The biggest bin I can find is a 100 quart. I'm going to try looking one more place and see if I can find a bigger one. Planning is still a work in progress. Smile All the advice and tips and examples I've gotten here have been wonderful. The more info, the better! Thank you all Cool Sign
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:36 pm

Rodents rock! wrote: I'm thinking of doing a bin cage since they are a lot cheaper than a 40 gallon tank and lid. The biggest bin I can find is a 100 quart. I'm going to try looking one more place and see if I can find a bigger one. Planning is still a work in progress. Smile  All the advice and tips and examples I've gotten here have been wonderful. The more info, the better! Thank you all Cool Sign

Boom. Bin cage thread. http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/120679-bin-cages-101/

This should give you all you need to know! +where to buy 450+ bins!

Also if you do end up wanting a tank, a 40 gallon +lid can usually be found on Craigslist for $40 or so.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 19 Apr 2017, 11:37 am

PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote: I'm thinking of doing a bin cage since they are a lot cheaper than a 40 gallon tank and lid. The biggest bin I can find is a 100 quart. I'm going to try looking one more place and see if I can find a bigger one. Planning is still a work in progress. Smile  All the advice and tips and examples I've gotten here have been wonderful. The more info, the better! Thank you all Cool Sign

Boom. Bin cage thread. http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/120679-bin-cages-101/

This should give you all you need to know! +where to buy 450+ bins!

Also if you do end up wanting a tank, a 40 gallon +lid can usually be found on Craigslist for $40 or so.

Thank you Pastel, I appreciate the link you sent me. I would love to get the Christmas tree box - yet it says they are only available around Christmas time.
But I could do a 110 or 116 quart bin for now and maybe upgrade to the Christmas tree box in December Very Happy
Thanks again!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 19 Apr 2017, 8:59 pm

If I'm not wrong, 110 quarts is only around 20 gallons...I'm not sure how well that would work for a hamster cage. I found one that seems large enough here. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-54-Gal-42-1-2-in-x-21-1-2-in-x-18-3-5-in-Hi-Top-Storage-Tote-FG3A05H2MICBL/100673965

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Wed 19 Apr 2017, 9:11 pm

River wrote:If I'm not wrong, 110 quarts is only around 20 gallons...I'm not sure how well that would work for a hamster cage. I found one that seems large enough here. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-54-Gal-42-1-2-in-x-21-1-2-in-x-18-3-5-in-Hi-Top-Storage-Tote-FG3A05H2MICBL/100673965

Gallons doesn't really matter as much as square inches, and the Ikea bin has over 450. (Which is fine for a Syrian.) That bin looks fine but clear ones work nice too, and that one has chewable spots.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 19 Apr 2017, 11:01 pm

The one at Target that is 110 quarts is 30" x 15" which equals 450 square feet. And all the sides are flat.

The 116 quart at Target has inward curves on either end, so that one may not be good, in case of chewing.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 20 Apr 2017, 12:38 am

Oh, I see! Sorry I don't know much about bins. I guess they're shorter?
Regardless - so long as it meets the minimum, it should work out fine! Have fun making your cage, if you do decide to.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:03 am

River wrote:Oh, I see! Sorry I don't know much about bins. I guess they're shorter?
Regardless - so long as it meets the minimum, it should work out fine! Have fun making your cage, if you do decide to.

Thanks River Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2