Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gerbils

+2
AnonymousMouseOwner
CallaLily
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gerbils - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerbils

Post by CallaLily Wed 24 May 2017, 1:41 pm

Thank you for all the information! Feel free to post or pm any links or info. I'm still reading and learning. Thinking I may be more seriously looking into getting a pair of gerbils in the next 1-2 years. Ear wiggle

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 24 May 2017, 8:59 pm

CallaLily wrote:Thank you for all the information!  Feel free to post or pm any links or info. I'm still reading and learning. Thinking I may be more seriously looking into getting a pair of gerbils in the next 1-2 years. Ear wiggle

That will be exciting! Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 11 Aug 2017, 4:03 pm

With wheel shopping for the hamster, it got me thinking about wheels for gerbils. What type/size is best?  Can they use mesh wheels like mice, or is it a big no-no like hamsters?  Flying saucers?  Occasionally I stumble on a person saying there's a big risk with their tails getting caught in wheels....truth or hype?

Also I was thinking, when I do get gerbils, about putting my exo terra back on top of my 40 breeder. I used to have it set up this way for hermit crabs - it was great for their deep bedding, while providing more height for climbing on the surface. And of course I enjoyed the front access the exo terra doors allowed.
Here was my initial hermit crab set up, just so you get an idea of what I mean.
Gerbils - Page 2 100_2110
Ignore how empty it looked. This was right after I first had it set up.  Not that it matters now, but this is how it eventually looked.
Gerbils - Page 2 Tempor19

I was thinking this would allow for plenty of bedding for digging for the gerbils and space to build up with platforms/shelves. It was secured with heavy duty velcro that -trust me- was very difficult to lift the top tank off. I would need to make a new lid though. Anyway, thoughts on using this sort of set up for the gerbils?  Of course with proper gerbil things, without the false bottom, and I wouldn't block off the exo terra's front venting.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 11 Aug 2017, 5:03 pm

Sorry, I'm not much help with the cage, but I wanted to mention that I saw this on a gerbil forum: "Do not buy a metal wheel with less than a pencil's width of space between the frame and the wheel, the tails can get easily caught in them. "

I don't know how true that is, since I don't know a whole lot about gerbils, but I thought it might be helpful Smile I found it on this page, but it was last edited in 2006, so I don't know how recent the info is: http://gerbilforum.proboards.com/thread/321/tips-on-gerbil

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 11 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

I think that cage would work well for gerbils if you'll be able to reach down to the bedding part. My gerbils liked to free range in the small bathroom, but they didn't want to be caught to come out. lol They did willingly walk into jars and boxes so I could lift them out, though. A plus to having glass will be that you'll sometimes see the tunnels they dig. Very neat!

My gerbils had a regular mesh wheel, but my gerbils didn't really run the same amount as my mice or the hamster. They did use it off and on, but it bounced under their weight so I would try to find one a little sturdier and/or bigger. In the time I spent on the forum that AMO linked, I found that many owners didn't even offer wheels, and others only offered them during playtime. It can be iffy with gerbils because they really, really, really like digging and shredding stuff and can spend most of their time doing those things if they have enough to keep them busy. My girls would get a cracker box, and by the time I cleaned their cage, the only traces of the box were about the size of a pinkie nail.
Never tried a flying saucer, but I know my girls would have only touched it to bury it and chew it. Laughing
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2