Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how active should a young mouse be?

2 posters

Go down

how active should a young mouse be? Empty how active should a young mouse be?

Post by KellysMom Wed 10 May 2017, 2:15 pm

dont know how old,found outside,looked poorly, fed kmr formula with syringe, put back outside, never moved, aprox 5 hours later brought him in & set up a 20 gallon fish tank, heating pad on one side with 3 small stuffed animals, 3 water bottle tops. one with half a blueberry & water, one with formula, one with oatmeal & formula, cant tell if he eats anything, he has tried to lick a cut blueberry while in my hand. i shut the spare room door when he's in the tank cuz i have 2 cats. if I offer him the syringe every two hours-ish, he will eat. this is day 5, the 1st day,looked like he was having seizures. the rest of the days his head kind of moves when he tries to eat (like a person with parkinsons ) so i would steady his head,

yesterday evening & today he can eat without my help from the syringe while holding it himself.

question. one day he was so active, running all over my bed and up & down my arms. today he is so quiet, what the heck, he has eaten 3 times, but goes back to sleep. he is sleeping in a scarf around my neck. yesterday I started adding a dollop of pureed vegetables to his liquid KMR.
KellysMom
KellysMom

Back to top Go down

how active should a young mouse be? Empty Re: how active should a young mouse be?

Post by KellysMom Wed 10 May 2017, 2:19 pm

how active should a young mouse be? 18342211
KellysMom
KellysMom

Back to top Go down

how active should a young mouse be? Empty Re: how active should a young mouse be?

Post by scaredymouse Wed 10 May 2017, 6:54 pm

They wiggle around but don't really leave the nest until their eyes are open. After that, my litter was on the move, becoming more active each day. But bear in mind, they are still babies, so they take lots of naps.

Shakiness when they are young is normal, their muscles are slowly getting stronger.

Are his eyes open? If so, you can introduce solid food and water. Are you feeding every two hours even at night? Is he pooping/peeing okay?
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom Fri 12 May 2017, 9:13 am

Yes his eyes were open from the day I found him which would be a week ago. I'm not sure if you can see the picture I put up of him. I'm glad to know shaking this it's natural for them when they are young. My husband does not seem to think I would ever be able to let him go because he does not seem very mature as far as feeding himself
KellysMom
KellysMom

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 12 May 2017, 10:58 am

I thought his eyes looked open. But he sounds developmentally delayed for sure. At that age, they should really be bouncing off the walls, exploring the world and getting into trouble. Also at that age, while they do continue to nurse, they are typically eating quite a bit of solid food. All of the shakiness should resolve, better and better day by day as he gets stronger.

It's possible there is something wrong with him though, only time will tell. He sounds like a little fighter though.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom Thu 18 May 2017, 3:37 pm

Every night i put teeny slices of apples And crushed pecans! & formula. The formula is sorta gone, but it's also smeared everywhere around the water bottle top so I don't know if he's eating formula or just stepping in it. Either way I sure hope he starts eating on his own or I will never be able to go on a vacation again or anything because I'm still bottle feeding him. He is much more active these last couple of days I will give him that. And his fur has filled out his tummy is all covered up now
KellysMom
KellysMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down