Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safe Wood Toys

2 posters

Go down

Safe Wood Toys Empty Safe Wood Toys

Post by MouseBites Sat 08 Jul 2017, 11:13 pm

I've been really cautious about buying wooden toys/decor that don't state what wood they are made of for fear of it being made of pine, cedar, etc. But I've seen some people stating that it's only shavings that are harmful. Then there are the people saying that untreated wood is ok- or is it treated wood that's ok? I honestly don't know what either of those mean or how I'm supposed to know if it's been treated or untreated. Today I found out that popsicle sticks are made of birch which I'm pretty sure is on the list of toxic woods for mice. I'd assume that someone would've realized that by now which is why I think they are still so commonly used and believed to be safe.

So I'm still confused on this. I see a lot of stuff I like but don't get just because I'm unsure (like this and this).

So I guess I just need reassurance. Is the wood in small animal (and bird) toys/decor safe even if it is made out of wood that is unsafe?

MouseBites

Drama Queen

Back to top Go down

Safe Wood Toys Empty Re: Safe Wood Toys

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 08 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm

Pine shavings are not to be used, but pine toys are fine. There are many, many small animal toys made from pine.

Cedar is extremely toxic to most small animals in any form I believe, and is to be avoided. I don't know anything about birch...

Treated wood is treated with chemicals that are harmful to mice. Store bought toys should not be made with treated wood, I think you just want to look out for treated wood if you are buying wood items that are not intended for small animals. Treating wood preserves it and makes it last longer, which is why it is sold.
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down