Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

+9
Winter Moose
Mice Are Cute
Rodents rock!
scaredymouse
Artistwolf
Veganboi
AnonymousMouseOwner
CallaLily
Peachy
13 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner? - Page 5 Empty Re: What did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Post by CallaLily Tue 27 Mar 2018, 1:15 pm

I meant to post about this month’s Universal Yums box. Last month was snacks from France, this month they were from Poland. And they must love their dairy there too because everything in the “Yum Box” except the peanuts had it. Laughing  But I did really enjoy those paprika peanuts.

Other than our tempting monthly subscription snack box, going plant based has still been pretty easy.....except eating out. That’s been a challenge. Which on one hand is good because I don’t need to be eating out a lot. It’s expensive and mostly unhealthy. But on those rare days where we’re on the road for whatever reason and everyone wants to stop for something to eat .... yeah. It’s so hard to find something without animal products.  One time I got a baked sweet potato at a restaurant, only to find out later the place slathers them in pig fat before baking. Oof.  I should probably just start packing snacks. Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

What did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner? - Page 5 Empty Re: What did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Post by Peachy Wed 28 Mar 2018, 4:10 pm

Haha! Glad you're having a relatively easy at go. We don't eat out much either, but it sounds like it'd be a pain!

I quit drinking mid-February. It was kind of magic how suddenly it came about, but it's been even more fascinating how dramatically my food interests changed (for the better!!). I need to find something to put in the cookie jar besides cookies, though. Laughing

We had peppers and noodles with a side salad for dinner. Made a fruit salad for lunch, and peanut butter pancakes for breakfast. I can't wait to get the garden set up in the yard this year. Drool
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 13 May 2018, 5:45 pm

Made peas and dumplins* for myself for dinner.  Everywhere around here seems to be having chicken and dumplin mother’s day specials going on. Used to be a fav of mine but I love peas too. Cookie

*being from Delaware I of course mean slippery dumplins.

Oh and I canceled the Yum Box. So no more temptation. Razz

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 19 Oct 2018, 4:49 pm

This is my breakfast today Very Happy

I chopped up 3 strawberries and a banana, and buttered 2 pieces of wheat bread. Yummy!
What did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner? - Page 5 Img_9212

What did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner? - Page 5 Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 20 Feb 2019, 2:51 pm

This topic has been dormant for a while, and I guess this qualifies for what I've been "having for lunch" this week ...

Sunday we had visitors from out of town, and by the time they left there was not enough time for me to go to work and be productive before the building goes into lock-down at 5pm and I have to be out again already. So I worked on the files I had brought home with me Saturday evening, and then at 7pm I closed up the drudge pile and made some cherry chocolate cordials!

I wasn't following a recipe or even giving much attention to detail. For instance, when I plopped some Crisco (for "tempering") into the Guittard chips I was melting for the second and third coats, I dribbled some chocolate into the Crisco drum. Therefore, I just scooped out more Crisco around the chocolate dribbles and plopped that into the melting pot too. And I just used a carefully monitored microwave melting technique instead of a bain-marie. I also didn't bother with fondant to coat the cherries before dipping -- I just panned the cherries in "tenex" (which is what I always call powdered sugar, "10x").

Well, folks, we are not waiting a couple weeks for the sugared inner coat to completely liquefy. Some of us at work have been enjoying the un-cordialed cordials for three days now. Far from leading to disaster, the Crisco overload created a coating that is weirdly light and has an almost microfoamy texture. One of my co-workers, who says that at one time in her life the only candy she would eat was cherry chocolates, pronounced these the best she has ever had.

I am not about to leave my current employment and seek work now as a chocolatière, The presentation shows the hurry I was in and the generally sloppy way I go about kitchen creativity: My batch of lovely cherry chocolate cordials looks less like a batch of lovely cherry chocolate cordials and more like a pile of "horse doofers", if you know what I mean.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 27 Feb 2019, 1:19 pm

Yum! I’ve always loved chocolate covered cherries.

I made a batch of chocolate chocolate chip cookies the day before yesterday (egg/dairy free). I’ve been bad today and they’re all I’ve eaten. Embarassed I’ll have to make sure I get some real food in at dinner. Paper Bag

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 27 Feb 2019, 7:37 pm

Cherry chocolate cordials were one of my mum's favorites too. In fact, at her memorial service that's what we toasted to her with. She was very fond of See's "Mayfair" buttercreams, which are chopped cherries and walnuts in vanilla buttercream, covered in milk chocolate. Then at Easter See's has their "Mayfair" EGG, which is a big ol' egg-shaped chopped-cherries-and-pecans-loaded vanilla buttercream covered in DARK chocolate. Even though Mum disliked dark chocolate with a passion, she still adored "Mayfair" eggs. And now it's almost that time of year again ... http://www.sees.com

Enjoy your real food! I get home so late from work (like, 10:30pm-ish) that most nights I don't feel like eating much of anything. But I also get up in the morning hours before my tummy wakes up enough to eat breakfast. So one of my little tricks to get some nutrition in so late at night, that will also last me through the morning on a sip or two of juice, is to make what I call my "pumpkin nog": I plop a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin puree into a mug, mix in a generous dose of allspice, and then stir in plain soy milk or almond milk enough to fill the mug. I used to only do that during the Thanksgiving-through-Epiphany season, but I decided it works year-round, and my tummy is grateful for that.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 24 Apr 2019, 7:58 pm

Made this recipe for No-Meatballs with spaghetti for dinner tonight. Mine sort of fell apart a bit but it still tastes good and that’s all that matters. Heart Eyes

Brunch was tofu scramble.

I’ve also cut out coffee aside from the occasional treat (like I’ve had maybe 4 cups since December) and more recently cut out soda at home (serious Coke Zero addiction here lol).

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 28 Apr 2019, 10:19 am

I’ve been into making my own herbal teas. Rosemary and thyme is a favorite, though I hope to incorporate an herb garden in my backyard this year so I can try it fresh.
I made a sort of brussel sprout casserole last night. Not a morning eater but managed a handful of burnt popcorn for breakfast. Laughing

My oven hasn’t worked in years, and it had mice living in it for a while, but last weekend it randomly turned itself on AND worked and burned up my crockpot that was being stored in there. So I’ll have to find some new stuff to cook. I hear grilled pizza is a thing! Shocked
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 07 May 2019, 9:17 am

I love Brussels sprouts! I’m weird like that, but I think I remember there’s a few others here that do too. Recipe?

Omg your oven!  Scary!

The soda thing is hard y’all. The Coke Zero addiction is real. I ended up having my husband hide a case and I get one a day.  I’ll keep trying but at least I’ve still cut back. Just not as much as I wanted to. Laughing

I made tofu donuts this morning. Weird. Not quite a donut as I know it but not bad either.  Maybe slightly healthier?  Maybe?? Laughing

Last edited by CallaLily on Sat 12 Oct 2019, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 07 May 2019, 11:39 am

If I make Brussels sprouts, I just gently microwave them until they are soft and intense emerald green.  They don't lose as much nutritional benefit that way as they would by boiling in water.  Then, if I'm not going to just eat them plain, I put a tiny bit of butter in the hot vegetables and stir around to melt it and completely dress the sprouts.  Top with some dashes of Tabasco, some sprinkles of Harissa seasoning (or other spice blend you enjoy), or a powdering of grated cheese.

I have a stockpile of serious hard-core ginger pop in the basement, just for special occasion.  Other than that, I just don't even buy soda unless I see some kind of weird flavor to taste-test.  Daddy-o keeps a box of RC Cola in the basement for me anyway, so I usually down a can on Saturday night with my dinner while we watch animal shows on the telly.

As for tofu, I seem to like it no matter how it's prepared.  I have a recipe for chocolate mousse made with soft tofu.  It calls for pasteurized egg white to get the correct texture, but I just don't use it -- I'm not cooking for show.  The result is so tasty to me that I just eat it out of the blender.   Thumbs Up

Now that you have mastered the tofu donut, you should try making tofu oliebollen!

Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 01 Sep 2019, 4:30 pm

Having leftovers of this Veggie “Shepherd’s Pie” I made a few days ago. It’s sooo good. I did replace most of the veggie ground with lentils just because I had them on hand, though it wasn’t enough so I dug up some veggie burgers from the freezer and crumbled them in too. Also, garlic in the potatoes!

I also have some brownies cooling for later. Chocolate

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 29 Nov 2019, 3:43 pm

On the occasion of the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States, I'd just like to acknowledge a contribution to the feast table courtesy of my little April, the two Thanksgivings that she spent in my house.

I always made cranberry compote with cranberries, dried apricots, and some chopped green apple (for pectin), boiled and simmered in sugared water with orange juice concentrate added, with chopped walnuts added after the compote was cooled and just before serving (to stay crunchy).

I had read conflicting advice that citrus was OK for mice and that citrus was not OK for mice.  I don't know if it had to do with the fact that mice make their own Vitamin C, but if it did, then you would think that strawberries would also be on the danger list.  But I decided to act on the side of caution, and kept April's exposure to citrus fruits to an absolute near-zero minimum.

For Thanksgiving, wanting to be able to offer her tastes of as many things as possible, that meant I had to change my compote formulation.  Finally, the day before the big feast, I had an inspiration, and hit some stores after work, looking for my new magical ingredient:  pomegranate juice.

Oh, what a wonderful new compote it created!  April was not impressed -- she wanted the sweet potato casserole, thank you very much.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 30 Nov 2020, 1:37 pm

It has been a year and a day since the last post on this topic, and here we are once again in the post-Thanksgiving mode in the United States.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and because I have neither time nor energy to make a big deal dinner for one day, I spread the individual parts out over several days.

For example, on Thursday I had a couple of stuffed clams with some raw carrots for the vegetable, red grapes and pepper jack cheese for dessert, and washed it down with a little bottle of Chinotto.

Friday was broccoli and cauliflower in mushroom sauce with cornbread from scratch.

On Saturday I did a lazy-duff version of the French potato dish Pommes Fondantes, like so:

Quarter-cut and thin-slice a potato, julienne some finger-length carrots of different colors, and coarse-chop a white onion.  (AND I DIDN'T CUT MYSELF WITH THAT CERAMIC-BLADE KNIFE AT ALL!  HOORAY!)  Throw everybody into a non-stick skillet, butter dots and a sprinkle of thyme on top, and slow-roast in the oven at 350°F.  Once the butter melts, keep checking on it and stirring, watching for the onion to turn clear.  Then pour in about a third of an inch deep of vegetable broth, and continue checking and stirring, checking and stirring, checking and stirring, until the vegetable broth is nothing but a bare puddle left and a taste test proves the potatoes have acquired a velvety softness.  The oven-cooking phase took over an hour, but less than 90 minutes.

I only planned to eat half of what I made, but it was so good I ate the whole thing.  And when I woke up around 4am, the house was still insanely aromatic.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 30 Nov 2020, 9:17 pm

Thanksgiving over several days sounds amazing! My mom dropped off a bunch of food and then we ate together over FaceTime, but my husband and kid ate most of the the food so the only leftovers were soggy stuffing and red cabbage. Laughing

Today I had a shake for breakfast (because breakfast, blech), a breakfast pie for lunch (Laughing), and soup and sandwiches for dinner. Also made peanut butter crackers dipped in chocolate with sprinkles for desert, but they stuck to the plate so we didn’t get to eat them.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum