Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Fish have stinkin' ICH!

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Fish have stinkin' ICH! Empty My Fish have stinkin' ICH!

Post by Bandit Cat Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm

I'm sorry, I usually try to remain quite calm, but I just needed somewhere to yell about this.

My fish have stinkin' ICH! I just saw now that one of my female platies had what looks like to be ich. If you don't know, ich is the most common and most annoying diseases to get rid of. It is also highly transmittable, like the human cold. Expect, unlike the human cold, it can kill fish!!! In total, the fish in that tank are at least $300, if not more. And some of those fish I am quite attached to. Ich is so hard to treat because it just does not die! and, I have loaches in my tank, which are very sensitive to medicines. Out of pure hope, I put the platy into a hospital tank, and I treated my big tank with some herbal medicine. This is one of the only times I wish I was wrong, and that they don't have ich at all. But I highly doubt it.
Excuse me: WHY????? DO. THEY. HAVE. TO. HAVE. STINKIN'. ICHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm once again sorry for yelling. I'm just very upset. Bad Day

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

My Fish have stinkin' ICH! Empty Re: My Fish have stinkin' ICH!

Post by goldfishfanforever Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:03 pm

Raise the temperature gradually and if the loaches are able to survive salt add a teaspoon per gallon I believe it is and keep it like that for up to a week after all signs of ich have disappeared
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:11 pm

Uh oh, ich! You could try doing a salt bath, or I've heard that raising the temperature can help too.

Pfft. I just noticed Goldfishfan beat me to it. Best of luck though! Try looking up ich cures on some fish forums, it's a pretty commonly discussed problem in the aquarium community.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 04 Jun 2016, 9:23 am

I know how to treat ich, as I read up on it before it even happened. I'm so upset because it is very annoying to treat. 25-30% water changes are good daily, but my tank is 60 gallons.... Where are the buckets?

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 04 Jun 2016, 10:28 am

Do you have a water changer? It's a lot easier to syphon out the water directly into a sink or tub than mess around with buckets. They're only about $25 each.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 04 Jun 2016, 10:54 am

Yes, I have one, but my tank is not close to a sink, so I have to siphon the water into the bucket, then pick it up and get to the sink. Siphons that connect right to the sink can cost $75-$100.

Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 04 Jun 2016, 10:56 am

By water changer, I meant the siphons that connect to the sink. I got mine on Amazon for no less than $30. It makes my water changes go a lot faster. Maybe it'll help you too!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 04 Jun 2016, 11:45 am

Really? What brand was it? If it's not too much I could probably get it! Very Happy

Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 04 Jun 2016, 12:12 pm

This is the brand I use. A 25ft hose is more than enough to get water from the tank to the sink in my room. The 50ft hose is a lot more expensive but still a good amount less than the $75-$100 of other brands you've seen. Plus, free shipping with prime!

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquarium-Water-Changer-Feet/dp/B000YAJKL6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465060322&sr=8-2&keywords=water+changer

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 04 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm

Yup. Just took out 15 gallons. I'll feel that tomorrow. No other fish have it on them, so I hope this disease won't be too hard to treat.

Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Mon 06 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

No, don't get the Aqueon water changer! It has shoddy plastic valves that just break. Spring for the Python - it is worth the extra expense when it lasts more than 1-2 water changes.

FWIW, you can siphon just right out a window - saves one direction on bucket treks. And waters the lawn.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Mon 06 Jun 2016, 5:44 pm

I feel your pain with bucket water changes I do huge weekly water changes on a 9 gallon, 33 gallon and 42 gallon using buckets and it is a huge pain Sad
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 06 Jun 2016, 5:57 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:No, don't get the Aqueon water changer!  It has shoddy plastic valves that just break.  Spring for the Python - it is worth the extra expense when it lasts more than 1-2 water changes.

I've had my aqueon water changer for over three years and it still works like a charm.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Mon 06 Jun 2016, 6:52 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:No, don't get the Aqueon water changer!  It has shoddy plastic valves that just break.  Spring for the Python - it is worth the extra expense when it lasts more than 1-2 water changes.

I've had my aqueon water changer for over three years and it still works like a charm.
I have heard they are flimsier than the Python brand but I know plenty of people who use them on weekly basis' and they haven't broken in years
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm

Ohhhh a "water changer" that would be very useful for me. People think I'm crazy, not just because 4 big fish tanks and a mouse tank in my bedroom, but because I refuse to buy fish from Walmart, where they are cheaper. ALL of those poor fish have ich and a load of other problems!

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next