Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my mouse social, blind or stupid?

+3
CallaLily
Mahjling
Mousies_momma
7 posters

Go down

Is my mouse social, blind or stupid? Empty Is my mouse social, blind or stupid?

Post by Mousies_momma Thu 15 Feb 2018, 1:52 am

Three months ago I bought 3 little female mice from Petco (Fig, Daisy and Hazel). The following day I noticed hazel was coming up to the bars a lot so I opened the cage and she climbed onto my hand. She fearlessly and calmly crawled around my hand and it wasn't till I googled "mouse taming" for fig and daisy that I learned Hazels behaviour isn't normal. I've noticed she never jumps up or öff of anything (even if it was only an inch or so), she would carfully climbs up and lowers herself as if she can't see whats happening. However, when i rearrange the cage or let them out Hazel can quickly navigate perfectly fine and fast. I set up a roley ball with a tube in it to explore and she went in and couldnt figure out how to get out.? She seems to always be in sight except for when she sleep (which is always with the other mices). I learned Daisy was the alpha, she's noticably the biggest, bossy and can jump a foot high but is so incredibly skkidish to the point her own shadow scares her which (from articles on mice) seems to be normal?. Hazel's the runt and small. Could Hazel have brain issues that make her overly social and possibly lacking depth perception? Everything else Hazel does is normal and she seems happy. I'm just afraid that if she has a brain problem that she will die young which would be so sad because she's my Darlingg little blessing from heaven. Is there anything that can help brain damaged mice? Help.

Mousies_momma

Back to top Go down

Is my mouse social, blind or stupid? Empty Re: Is my mouse social, blind or stupid?

Post by Mahjling Thu 15 Feb 2018, 6:23 am

Some mice are just more social than others. I've had mice that were skittish in some way until the day they died, and I've had mice that wanted attention from the day I brought them home. Sounds like your little girl is just a social butterfly!

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Is my mouse social, blind or stupid? Empty Re: Is my mouse social, blind or stupid?

Post by CallaLily Thu 15 Feb 2018, 7:09 am

Mahjling wrote:Some mice are just more social than others. I've had mice that were skittish in some way until the day they died, and I've had mice that wanted attention from the day I brought them home. Sounds like your little girl is just a social butterfly!

Same. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Thu 15 Feb 2018, 7:20 am

What the others say.
Also, mice really can't see very well in general. They tend to navigate using their whiskers and other senses as far as I was aware.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:42 am

If Hazel is a true runt, then it is possible, in the grand panorama of genetic mouse variety, that she could have some developmental impairment. Or maybe everything's just fine. Don't let worry consume you. Just expose her to the same variety of experiences as her roommates, watch for her strengths and weaknesses, and encourage her at everything. And tell Hazel, and her roommates, many times every day that you love them. If your time together turns out to be shorter than you wish and hope for -- and isn't that the way things shatteringly turn out anyway? -- then you will at least know that the time was most wonderfully spent.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 15 Feb 2018, 8:10 pm

I think all three girls sound perfectly fine. Animals, just as people, have vastly different personalities. Some are outgoing, some are shy, some are careful, some are hesitant. If you could get and share a video of your girls in action, we could see if we notice anything off. Try not to worry, just enjoy them Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:54 pm

Does she have a head tilt, or tend to turn in circles? "Waltzing" in mice can be genetic; my waltzing girl, Trouble, is the most social of my mice (as far as interacting with me is concerned), and she sometimes is a bit... ditzy.

But she's still such a great little pal; so if your Hazel is a bit different, she'll still make a great little lovebug! Love

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down