Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse Diet

2 posters

Go down

Mouse Diet Empty Mouse Diet

Post by fancymice Thu 29 Mar 2018, 9:20 pm

Hi, I wanted to distinguish the difference between treats and meals. So, right now I’m feeding them mouse block, they always have it in the cage, I fed them two seeds today, and I tried giving them a banana but they didn’t want it. So I know those are treats, but are vegetables treats? Or are they part of their diet? Should I start giving them a tablespoon of leafy greens three times a week, keep the feeding block in their cage at all times, and give them treats twice a week? Also, how much is treats is too much? Thank you
fancymice
fancymice

Back to top Go down

Mouse Diet Empty Re: Mouse Diet

Post by CallaLily Fri 30 Mar 2018, 12:22 pm

A good seed mix should be their staple diet (always available) and you can supplement it with a good lab block. Some do choose to use a block food as the staple and limit the seed mix for fear of selective feeding - but I’ve found not refilling their dish until most of the mix has been eaten is a better, more natural solution. If you do choose to feed mainly block, please offer at least a little healthy seed mix daily for them to enjoy (scatter feeding can make it extra fun and enriching). Feeder insects (freeze dried or live) should also be a part of their diet - at least a few times a week. Small amounts of fresh veggies/fruits at least twice a week is what’s generally recommended, but you could offer it everyday if you wanted. Again, small amounts - it shouldn’t ever overtake their main food. You can also treat them to plain cooked eggs, chicken, etc if you want a couple times a week. I consider nuts and some fattier seeds as more like a healthy treat. You don’t want to go overboard with them but really small bits daily shouldn’t be an issue for the average healthy mouse. True treats, like more processed or sugary foods (added sugars) I wouldn’t give too often. Things like cold breakfast cereals (Cheerios, Rice Krispies, etc), crackers, bread, pasta, commercial treats, gerber puffs.

This is just my take on things. Others may have a different view on food vs treat.

In my research I’ve read that Mus musculus naturally eats mainly grains, seeds, and insects but take full advantage of edible fruits, nuts, greens, herbs, fungi, flowers, and even sometimes carrion.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Mouse Diet Empty Healthy vs fatty seeds

Post by fancymice Fri 30 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

What seeds would be considered healthy, and part of a healthy diet, and what seeds would be considered fatty, and should only be used as treats?
fancymice
fancymice

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 30 Mar 2018, 1:26 pm

Fatty seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, flax, hemp, etc should be given in more controlled amounts. They’re not necessarily “bad” (fats are a healthy part of a balanced diet) but they shouldn’t be allowed to overindulge.

By healthy seed mix I mean either a high variety commercial mix or a well researched homemade mix of grains/seeds.  For the average mouse from untracked lines you’re looking for 12-14% crude protein, 5-7% crude fat, and <10% crude fiber. If your mice are from a reputable breeder they should have suggestions on what their specific line does best with.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down