Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dyes in Food

2 posters

Go down

Dyes in Food Empty Dyes in Food

Post by Joylion Tue 03 Apr 2018, 6:01 pm

Hello!

I just adopted two mice and I can't use the mouse food that they were on before. It has peanuts in it and I can't have peanuts in the house. I was reading that parakeet food is best. I saw the diet sticky and noticed the parakeet foods listed have dyes in them. I figure dyes aren't the healthiest for the mice. I found a different parakeet food without dyes in it but it has a lot of wheat and corn. What do you all think of these trade offs? Thanks!

https://www.chewy.com/browns-encore-classic-natural/dp/122336?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Brown%27s&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzIzWBRDnARIsAAkc8hFkkzTfnTvjbGBV51wFSt6uBZ7UDb-Bgvg2ATU4WHE3eyr0ud8NteQaApEeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Joylion

Back to top Go down

Dyes in Food Empty Re: Dyes in Food

Post by CallaLily Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:44 am

That food is ok. It’s a smidgen low on fat and doesn’t have much variety (only 4 whole ingredients), but it is very similar to one of the parakeet diets listed in the sticky.  Don’t quote me on this, but I believe Higgins is another brand that doesn’t use artificial dyes or flavorings and their Sunburst blend usually has pretty decent variety too. Or you could just look into adding to the mix you’ve linked to boost variety.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Joylion Fri 06 Apr 2018, 2:36 pm

Thank you for your reply. In sort of a hurry I ended up buying the Vitakraft. I'm not sure how long that'll last but I figured it would be okay to go through a bag of it even with dyes. My new mice love it. I also gave them some carrot as a treat and they loved that too, even the more timid of the two came up to me.

Joylion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down