Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to find feed without dyes or sugars in the US?

3 posters

Go down

Where to find feed without dyes or sugars in the US? Empty Where to find feed without dyes or sugars in the US?

Post by SilverGravity Wed 15 Jul 2020, 3:44 pm

Hi everyone, I just joined and was hoping someone might be able to help! I'm feeding my mice the brown's tropical carnival gourmet food for hamsters and gerbils, but I really want to find a feed without added sugars or artificial dyes that still has the correct protein, fat, fiber, etc. The only ones I've seen that I really liked is the Bunny Dream Mouse Expert food and the Little Ones Complete food for mice, but I can't find either of those in the US and the only stores I found online to buy them from are too expensive (like $25 or more for a months worth of food between the feed and shipping). Does anyone have either a site they get one of these for a reasonable price in the US or other feeds that don't have the dyes/sugars? Or does anyone have a good homemade mix recipe I could make instead? Thanks!

SilverGravity

Back to top Go down

Where to find feed without dyes or sugars in the US? Empty Re: Where to find feed without dyes or sugars in the US?

Post by Honey102019 Tue 22 Dec 2020, 7:57 pm

Hopefully, you've figured out the search button by now and found topics on homemade mixes.  If not, try that now.  I'd just type "recipe".  

I feed my mice a fortified pellet and a mix.  The best pellet I can find the U.S. is Supreme Selectives Rat & Mouse.  It's low in sugar, corn free, and I don't think it has artificial coloring either.  It's sold at Petco.  The online price is always cheaper than the in store price.

I switch around on mixes so they don't get bored.  Usually, it's Higgins Sunburst Rat & Mouse.  But if I'm in Petsmart, I get Vitakraft Vita Smart Complete Nutrition Natural Forage Blend Rat, Mouse & Gerbil Food.  I like Tropical Carnival but there are two Rat & Mouse mixes.  You want the this one...

Brown's Tropical Carnival Fortified Daily Diet Natural Mouse & Rat Food

If it has raisins in it and it says it's a treat and meal all in one (or something like that), it's the wrong mix.

Another option is looking on Etsy.  I found this one...

Truffle's Seed Mix for Picky Hamsters

The protein content is a bit high for mice, though.  But, contact the seller and see if they can make something specifically for mice.

I hope this helps.
Honey102019
Honey102019

Cool

Back to top Go down

Where to find feed without dyes or sugars in the US? Empty Re: Where to find feed without dyes or sugars in the US?

Post by Oreoandfriends Tue 22 Dec 2020, 9:24 pm

My recommendations are very similar to the ones above!
The dry portion of my mouse diet is made up of 40% Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Rat and Mouse food, 30% Vitakraft Vitasmart Parakeet Food, and 30% Supreme Science Selective Rat Pellets. I’m not comfortable making a completely homemade diet myself yet so this is the best I could do. There’s an awesome commercial mouse food dissection google doc by someone on this forum with a guaranteed analysis calculator too but unfortunately I don’t have the link, maybe someone else knows what I’m talking about?
Good luck, hope this helps!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by SilverGravity Wed 23 Dec 2020, 10:02 am

Thanks! I have made my own mix- I forget the percentages but it’s Vita Garden Rat & Mouse Food, Tropical Carnival Natural Hamster-Gerbil food, Healthy Select Natural Parakeet Diet, and Science Selective Rat & Mouse food. It’s 14% protein, 5.4% fat, and 7.8% fiber! No added sugars or dyes, and the least amount of corn and sunflower seeds I could manage.

SilverGravity

Robin~ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down