Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedding

5 posters

Go down

Bedding Empty Bedding

Post by Bambi Mon 09 Apr 2018, 4:16 pm

I was wondering what type of bedding would everyone recomend? Do you think just aspzn is good or just papaer based? or would a mixture of both be better?
also what brand is best for mice?

Another question. Do mice use sand baths? From what I have heard the dont use them for bathing or rolloing but Would they use it for a bathroom and has anyone trained their mice to use sand as a bathroom?

ok one more question!
Would it be better to get 3 female mice so if one dies later on the other doesnt get lonley? or would it be fine with just 2? Im pretty new to mice owning/care These will only be my second time having them but im going to count it as my firt because the others I had when I was like 5-6. I do know that mice and hamsters are alot different but I think owning a hamster and multiple other pets have helped me know alot more even though all different animals have different needs.

I have just gotten the yes to getting mice from my parents so I am super exited to start my search and start collecting/getting things for my new furry friends! I will most likeley have to wait to get the actual mice at the end of the summer because I will be super busy. I am going to try to adopt If i can but it is so hard to find young female mice upbfor adoption. I am starting the search with alot of space to when I can actually have them so maybe I can find some little girlies for adoption in the time frame I have!

Bambi

Back to top Go down

Bedding Empty Re: Bedding

Post by Mahjling Mon 09 Apr 2018, 5:41 pm

I personally use coconut coir and a small amount of Sphagnum Moss. (90 - 95% coir, to 10-5% moss) and it's worked wonderfully for me, no smell, cheap, long lasting, eco friendly.

Mice do not use sand baths, it can be bad for their lungs.
My mice are litter trained. They use a hanging coconut 'hide' as their bathroom, there is nothing in it.

Assuming there's room, more mice is the better option, in the wild, mice live in colonies, in captivity they must be kept at least in pairs, but I've always found and heard that 3-5 is optimal. That being said, I don't have any research papers on hand to back that up right now at this moment so take it with a grain of salt if you like.

Good luck with your search, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse Tue 10 Apr 2018, 12:46 am

i use aspen bedding and have had no problems, however there is a chance your mice could be allergic, but its unlikely. coconut fiber bedding and paper based bedding are great safe options too Smile

mice do not need sand baths and do not use them as a litter tray, the sand can be bad for their respiratory systems.

as Mahjling said getting 3 - 5 females is a good thing Smile

best of luck with your new fur babies

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bambi Tue 10 Apr 2018, 12:48 am

ok thank you so much for the info! Smile

Bambi

Back to top Go down

Post by susb8383c Fri 01 Jun 2018, 10:34 pm

Mahjling wrote:I personally use coconut coir and a small amount of Sphagnum Moss. (90 - 95% coir, to 10-5% moss)

Mahjling, can you tell me what brand of coir and Sphagnum you use? Do you mean the long-fibered Sphagnum or the stuff that's peat moss?

I've just decided to try coconut and am deciding what to buy.

Do you get the brick of coir? Do you mix it with water or just break it apart dry?

Thanks, Susie

susb8383c
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahjling Wed 20 Jun 2018, 2:59 pm

@susb8383c

I use Eco-Earth Coconut Coir and the expandable terrarium moss usually sold right next to it, you can use either long strand or peat, they'll chew the long strand into whatever they want it to be like.

Mix it with water! Using it dry won't work, and it will get dusty and gross.

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ Thu 21 Jun 2018, 12:07 pm

I use a layer of aspen at the bottom to soak up urine and then on top of that is a layer of Carefresh which is soft nice. These two things have really nice odor control.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down