Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I give my mice a cage made of Fir?

2 posters

Go down

Can I give my mice a cage made of Fir? Empty Can I give my mice a cage made of Fir?

Post by MouseHouse101 Mon 28 May 2018, 3:22 am

I know that fir is poisonous to mice as a chewing stick. But wondered if I could give them a cage made out of it. It has a mesh lid and fir base and glass front and sides. It also has some accessories made of fir that I could take out. If any of you guys know could you give some advice? Thanks

By the way, it's for 2 does.

MouseHouse101

Back to top Go down

Can I give my mice a cage made of Fir? Empty Re: Can I give my mice a cage made of Fir?

Post by CallaLily Mon 28 May 2018, 9:14 am

I don’t know for certain, but it’s the phenols in the wood that are the problem. They can seriously irritate respiratory systems. That’s why bedding and more “fresh” cuts of it would be a no-no. But I imagine the wood your enclosure is made out of has been properly dried and treated, so probably would not cause the same issues. Same with pine - and I know many use treated pine to build enclosures for rodents. You probably want to look into sealing the wood in some way though, so it doesn’t soak in urine. Any pet/child safe, water-based varnish should be ok.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Can I give my mice a cage made of Fir? Empty Re: Can I give my mice a cage made of Fir?

Post by MouseHouse101 Fri 01 Jun 2018, 4:48 pm

Thanks! I am torn. I don’t want to risk hurting them as they are getting on (1 1/2) and have always been so healthy. I want to get them a bigger cage but cannot find any that are suitable in Australia!

MouseHouse101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down