Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many mice for my cage?

2 posters

Go down

How many mice for my cage? Empty How many mice for my cage?

Post by MadiPaige Tue 10 Mar 2020, 9:49 pm

Hello, I am new to owning mice (even though I currently have plenty of other small animals including: hamsters, hedgehogs, and ferrets) and I am planning on getting some female mice in the upcoming weeks. I am using old hamster cages for them and I plan to have the super critter trail (540 square inches) connected to three smaller cages each about 150 square inches. I am wanting to house 5 females in this space and I am wondering if this is an okay number of mice to have in this enclosure and what you would say is the recommended amount of mice in this space. Thanks!

MadiPaige

Back to top Go down

How many mice for my cage? Empty Re: How many mice for my cage?

Post by Honey102019 Wed 15 Apr 2020, 5:04 pm

Hello there and welcome!

Mice are wonderful pets.  They are so much fun to watch and interact with.

I hope you had a chance to look over the site.  There are some packets or stickies that you should read before getting your mice.  I realize it's been over a month since your posting, but hopefully they will still help Smile ...

You questions on housing...  

There is a very informative sticky dedicated to the subject...

Proper Housing

My personal preference is bin cages.  I have had 50 gallon and smaller glass tanks, Critter Trails (3 story one), and a medium Wire Cage from Petsmart.  I still prefer the bin cages.

Bin cages are more affordable and you get so much more space.  They are a lot easier to clean an replace.  You can have a spare on hand too.  

For instance a 20 gallon long tank at Petco can run $40 retail.  A 25 gallon Sterilite tote from Home Depot is only $15... and you get more floor space.

Continuous floor space is what counts.  If you have to choose between something tall or something long... go with length.  Critter Trails and similar tube systems don't have enough continuous floor space.  You can use them for playtime.  But, I wouldn't used them for a permanent habitat.

Instead of spending money on a Critter Trail, use a storage bin.  Save the difference towards vet bills.  I like to take new mice to the vet for a wellness check after the first couple of weeks.  However, if money is tight, hold onto it for an emergency vet visit instead.

Read through this packet.  It will help you prepare for your new mice and what to do once they arrive.

Bringing Your New Mouse Home

Don't forget to visit the other sections on this site.  I would recommend Mouse Behavior and look into handling and taming as well as diet suggestions in Mouse Nutrition.

Good luck and enjoy your new friends!
Honey102019
Honey102019

Cool

Back to top Go down