Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cage Appropriate for 3-4 Mice?

4 posters

Go down

Cage Appropriate for 3-4 Mice? Empty Cage Appropriate for 3-4 Mice?

Post by BobThe51st Sat 29 Feb 2020, 1:29 pm

Cage Appropriate for 3-4 Mice? 20200211
Cage Appropriate for 3-4 Mice? 20200212
Cage Appropriate for 3-4 Mice? 20200210

This is our first time mouse keeping since I was in middle school, although I have had a few hamsters over the intervening years.  My kid is now turning 15, and we've promised them pet mice for their birthday.  We've bought, cleaned and filled this 20 gallon long tank.  Does it look appropriate for 3 to 4 does?

Thank you all for any help and advice!

BobThe51st

Back to top Go down

Cage Appropriate for 3-4 Mice? Empty Re: Cage Appropriate for 3-4 Mice?

Post by Robin~ Sat 29 Feb 2020, 7:31 pm

Hello!

Size-wise, I would definitely stick to 3– I have four living in a cage a little less than twice that size and it feels a little stuffy IMO.

I would also be hesitant on using a tank—mice produce a lot more ammonia than hamsters, so it’s generally recommended to have more than the top ventilated. A barred cage like the Prevue 528 or a meshed guinea pig/rabbit cage would be preferred, at least in the future.

I would also be hesitant with wood shavings—depending on where you get your mice, you may end up with some very dust-sensitive girls, in which aspen wouldn’t be the best. I would recommend Carefresh—it’s pretty pricey but it’s well worth it and much more dust-free.

Other than that, I like the layout—you have a nice ~8-10” on the one side which is great for mousey thermoregulation and general promotion of instincts as well as a very full and entertaining set up. I think applying something like this with the tweaks above would make for a great enclosure!
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by BobThe51st Sun 01 Mar 2020, 8:37 am

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Do you think that we have enough nesting material in the cage? I put in a few triangles of felt (I know some will use it and some will leave it alone), there's a layer of hay in the dig box, and the paper tube in the back is also stuffed with it. There's also a shredded tissue and a paper towel in there. Thank you again!

BobThe51st

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Mon 02 Mar 2020, 12:40 pm

I would think so! I personally use shredded construction paper with my girls and give them about half a piece of paper for them to use after each clean for reference.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrie Wed 08 Apr 2020, 11:56 am

I love the activities you've got set up. Well done Smile How fun. Right now my largest aquarium is 30 gal and have 5 small girls living until I finish up my tote homes. Happy mousing Smile

Carrie

Leo Chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Thu 09 Apr 2020, 3:52 am

I think it looks really good, especially all those stick toys!

I'm curious, where did you get that castle?

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrie Thu 09 Apr 2020, 4:41 am

Robin~ wrote:I would think so! I personally use shredded construction paper with my girls and give them about half a piece of paper for them to use after each clean for reference.
Hi there, do you just rip a piece off and toss it in? I have a bad habit of for example, w/ boxes etc ripping them up and then tossing in for them to build houses in. My husband suggests allowing them to do it themselves. If so...thinking I will steal (opps I mean ask before taking! haha) some of my daughters construction paper and placing it in w/ my mice as well Smile

Carrie

Leo Chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Thu 09 Apr 2020, 10:04 am

Carrie wrote:
Robin~ wrote:I would think so! I personally use shredded construction paper with my girls and give them about half a piece of paper for them to use after each clean for reference.
Hi there, do you just rip a piece off and toss it in? I have a bad habit of for example, w/ boxes etc ripping them up and then tossing in for them to build houses in. My husband suggests allowing them to do it themselves. If so...thinking I will steal (opps I mean ask before taking! haha) some of my daughters construction paper and placing it in w/ my mice as well Smile

I personally shred it before hand but having them shred it themselves could make for a great source of enrichment!
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down