Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are my mice pregnant?

3 posters

Go down

Are my mice pregnant? Empty Are my mice pregnant?

Post by Night and Day Sat 24 Nov 2018, 3:22 pm

Are my mice pregnant? Img_1616
Are my mice pregnant? Img_1614
Are my mice pregnant? Img_1615
I have two pet mice I bought a week ago. Night is black while Day is yellow with a sandy brown undercoat.
I am concerned that both of them are pregnant, simply fat, or have a tumor.

I got them both at Pet Smart. The reason I'm considering pregnancy is because both of them have larger stomachs and have slight bulges on either of their sides. That, and they were in a group of 3 and I don't own the third litter mate (presumably it's female).

The most likely outcome is they're fat. At Pet Smart, they only ate pellets. Now I feed them seeds, grains, and pellets.

I know tumors are common in mice over 1 year so it's a possibility, even though they are around 2 months, the age of which some become fertile. Night actually looks quite old as towards the bottom of her there are streaks of gray. Here and there, a gray hair can be found.

(I pet their sides very lightly and it isn't hard)

I only took pictures of Night, but Day looks the same proportionally. Sorry for bad quality.
Night and Day
Night and Day

Pisces Spaced

Back to top Go down

Are my mice pregnant? Empty Re: Are my mice pregnant?

Post by chiroptera Sat 24 Nov 2018, 5:24 pm

From just these pictures, she doesn't really look pregnant to me. But it can be hard to tell, so I can't tell you for sure.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Night and Day Sun 25 Nov 2018, 7:38 am

chiroptera wrote:From just these pictures, she doesn't really look pregnant to me. But it can be hard to tell, so I can't tell you for sure.
Thanks! In real life, it's a bit easier to see Smile

Night and Day

Pisces Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 25 Nov 2018, 8:09 am

I've had mice from pet stores that I would have sworn were pregnant. They totally looked it, but sometimes mice just take extra delight in eating their new yummy food and get a bit pudgy. Definitely nothing to worry about if that's the case! You only have to worry about extra weight if your mice are seriously obese. I had a mouse that was so fat he had trouble getting around as he aged.

Pregnancies are 19-23 days, so count from the day you brought her home. If no babies come you can be sure none are headed your way! I always thought it was easier to tell in early days from the bottom of the belly rather than the sides but mice will carry differently.

I wouldn't think it's a tumor but internal parasites could be a possibility if they look bloated with no babies. Have your vet check it out if it comes to this!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Night and Day Sun 25 Nov 2018, 9:33 am

Peachy wrote:I've had mice from pet stores that I would have sworn were pregnant. They totally looked it, but sometimes mice just take extra delight in eating their new yummy food and get a bit pudgy. Definitely nothing to worry about if that's the case! You only have to worry about extra weight if your mice are seriously obese. I had a mouse that was so fat he had trouble getting around as he aged.

Pregnancies are 19-23 days, so count from the day you brought her home. If no babies come you can be sure none are headed your way! I always thought it was easier to tell in early days from the bottom of the belly rather than the sides but mice will carry differently.

I wouldn't think it's a tumor but internal parasites could be a possibility if they look bloated with no babies. Have your vet check it out if it comes to this!
Thanks Smile
The original symptom I noticed was both of their stomachs were bigger. I do think it's the food though, as it has much more variety than their old food.
I'll keep an eye on them (as always) for the next couple of days, especially because they were squeaking quite a bit this morning.

Night and Day

Pisces Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down