Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Three Pregnant Mice

2 posters

Go down

Three Pregnant Mice Empty Three Pregnant Mice

Post by Lumpkinz11 Wed 12 Apr 2023, 4:21 pm

Hi all! I went to a place where they had 15 pinky mice and their 3 pregnant mothers in horrible conditions. (They were in a 2 gallon plastic tub, full of humidity and gross shavings. The container, food dish and water thing were NEVER cleaned and more) So, I purchased them with the intention of rehoming them to local mice enthusiasts!

I understand that it is best to separate a pregnant mouse to be alone with her pups, but I purchased these 3 mice all housed together. Do I still separate them, or is it best to just keep a close eye on their behavior and keep them together? I also don't know who the 15 pups belong to! EDIT: They have been together for some time, and do not feel it is necessary to separate them. Let me know if I am wrong, however! They just seem to enjoy each other's company.

Also, are there any diets one would recommend for a pregnant mouse? I feel like the ones they sell aren't made special for pregnant or old mice. EDIT: I have been able to formulate a fair diet for them, but I am still looking for opinions!

NEW >> They are nibbling food now, how much should I be feeding the group as a whole?

Is there anything else I should know and be aware of? As I said, I am doing so much research and just had a few questions! I put them in a 20-gallon tank for the time being, and gave them new bedding and the works! They look so much better already.

Last edited by Lumpkinz11 on Thu 13 Apr 2023, 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Lumpkinz11

Back to top Go down

Three Pregnant Mice Empty Re: Three Pregnant Mice

Post by cerial Wed 12 Apr 2023, 9:19 pm

Dad will help watch the pups.

https://youtu.be/93LCtxmtLqA
Its the females that will carry off the pups and leave them somewhere cold more then the males.

Make sure mom has enough bedding can dig. This will let her make a hollowed out section that she can close when she is away preventing the pups exploring and winding up getting cold.

I use a diet rich in grains, and rice. Absoultly no corn or corn meal. Cereal is a cheap source as long as you watch what is in it.

cerial

Lumpkinz11 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumpkinz11 Thu 13 Apr 2023, 8:26 am

cerial wrote:Dad will help watch the pups.

I absolutely appreciate your reply!! Unfortunately, there is no dad around; I received the mice as three pregnant females, and 15 pups, no other mice. Will this be detrimental to the pups' growth?

Lumpkinz11

Back to top Go down

Post by cerial Thu 13 Apr 2023, 2:04 pm

I would keep everyone together. Your going to have some that get more milk then others so your going to have a few runts. Also be ready because with a litter that size you may loose a few. Once they are eating solid foods you can seperate the males and females.

I like 10 gallons of space per mouse. So you may want to start looking for people to take them soon or building a larger tank.

I built my large tank that is connected to my 3 smaller tank. The large tank was constructed out of single payne windows with wooden frames. I grabbed a piece of treated plywood and screwed the windows together to make a rectangle before screwing the plywood down. Then I carefully flipped it over. I put a 2x4 on top and drilled a hole in it then used a thermostat housing and short radiatior hose to connect the wooden tank to one of my 10 gallons that connects to 2 other tanks.

I then topped the wooden tank with single payne windows from a mobile home that I picked up for free.

I then grabbed some vinyl 12x12 ahesive backed tile things and put them inside the tank to make cleaning easier snd extend the treated woods life.

The tank made out of windows is around 24x60x24 and I have less then $100 into it. They have not chewed on the wood at all.

May be an option if you can find some cheap/free windows to build a low cost tank.

cerial

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down