Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Updates, Because I'm Never On

4 posters

Go down

More Updates, Because I'm Never On Empty More Updates, Because I'm Never On

Post by River Sun 13 Jan 2019, 5:54 pm

Though, no longer owning mice, I guess I have a reason to no longer be on. I never did get more mice after Graham -- it took me an unreasonably long time to even take apart her cage after she was buried, almost two months. It just didn't feel quite right, and we'd hit a rough patch in their mousey health. I didn't want to keep the bad luck streak going, and I just never ended up looking for mice again.

I'm surprisingly content with this, though! I have my cockatiel, who I spend most of my time with. She's been very healthy as a general rule, but recently had a procedure to remove an egg that had gotten stuck in the uterus. It was a bit of a shock to me -- she hadn't laid an egg since a week after we got her July, 2016. She's still on antibiotics and per vet instruction, needs calcium supplements regularly from here on out.

I took this picture a few nights ago and I think it captures her personality quite well.

More Updates, Because I'm Never On 50340663_598393747279282_3271504768643629056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1

So, with all my attention centered around her for the time being, I'm not really intending on getting any other animals either. My dog recently turned seven, though! We celebrate their birthdays in April, where the others turn eight and four.

And that's...pretty much it. I don't have much else to add, all animal things considered. I would say it's been quiet around here but I have a parrot and that would be an absolute lie.

I hope you're all doing well. It's a little strange not being here regularly, after so many years.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

More Updates, Because I'm Never On Empty Re: More Updates, Because I'm Never On

Post by AppleCheeks Tue 15 Jan 2019, 1:16 am

There seems to be a lot of us regulars who dont come to the forum much anymore - I'm in the same boat as you, I never got any more mice after my last and with my life being focused around my dogs and my birds currently, this forum has sadly just faded into the background for me.
Super glad your tiel is ok! Makes me kind of thankful that 3 of my 4 birds are male - my little lovebird is currently making a nest though and I'm really hoping that if she lays, there is no complications..
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 16 Jan 2019, 12:56 pm

Good to hear from you. Smile

I’m not on here much anymore either. Still without meece too. I didn’t really plan to go this long without getting more but I have way too many gerbils thanks to missexing one of my original three “boys.” So with them keeping me pretty busy combined with just going through a rough patch (depression/anxiety), I’ve been mostly keeping to myself.

I’m glad your cockatiel is doing well despite the scare. She’s adorable. Love

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 17 Jan 2019, 7:39 pm

Applecheeks, boys must be good for stress! The idea of egg laying complications have always scared me too, I never expected to end up with a female. I couldn't be happier with her though, she's an angel...a grumpy angel, but an angel. Good luck with your girl!! Hopefully she decides she's not in the mood for laying.

Calla, I hadn't realized how many gerbils you have!!  Do you have a thread on them? I'd love to see it. I hope you're feeling better soon.  Red Heart

Thank you! She's a super sweet little bird. She's on probiotics now that the antibotics are all done, and it seems to be helping everything balance out. It was definitely a terrifying moment but she's a fighter. Smile

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Thu 17 Jan 2019, 9:54 pm

River wrote:Applecheeks, boys must be good for stress! The idea of egg laying complications have always scared me too, I never expected to end up with a female. I couldn't be happier with her though, she's an angel...a grumpy angel, but an angel. Good luck with your girl!! Hopefully she decides she's not in the mood for laying.
Thankfully.. currently.. after spending 6 days (during her out of cage time) diligently building her nest, she's lost interest in it haha. Good thing too because I don't know what I would do if she decided to lay an egg and actually sit on it - the nest is in the sleeve of a jacket than hangs on my door..
More Updates, Because I'm Never On 49347910More Updates, Because I'm Never On 49864910
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:49 pm

Hi River Smile I've never owned a bird of any kind, but the one type I've always been tempted by are cockatiels! They are just so adorable with their little pikachu cheeks, and seem to have bags of personality, whilst not being quite as difficult to care for as some of the bigger parrots. Are they as fun as they look? Would you say they are easier or harder to look after than dogs? Just curious Very Happy

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 22 Jan 2019, 12:57 am

Hey!! You're right about everything, and they're even funner than they look! They're such individuals, and so loving. I may be biased but I wouldn't be alone in thinking they are some of the most loving, cuddly pets out there. Cockatiel means 'little cockatoo' and that's spot on -- big birds in a manageable package. My girl makes me laugh all the time. Heart

Hard to say, in comparison with dogs...they're in their own ways, I suppose! I think her diet is one of the things that is definitely a little more complex than my dogs. 'Tiels need a pretty varied diet -- we feed seeds, pellets, and a variety of fresh veggies every day. That's not counting the treats, either! My dogs are pretty content with kibbles and table food. Laughing

In general, though, as to if they're more difficult than dogs, I think it depends for sure. The difference hasn't been huge for me, but Gracie-Gacy came from a rough situation, so she's had her own struggles. Both dogs and birds have their own little things! It's individual, I'd say. Smile

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 22 Jan 2019, 4:10 pm

River wrote:
Calla, I hadn't realized how many gerbils you have!!  Do you have a thread on them? I'd love to see it. I hope you're feeling better soon.  Red Heart

Yes, there’s a thread here that starts back when I first adopted Oghren. I’ll have to try to get around to posting an update on it soon. Thank you.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 26 Jan 2019, 9:41 pm

How cute! It's nice that you were able to keep them all. I guess all those tanks come in handy!

I got into sprouting seeds for our Gacy recently. We're hoping this'll be one of the easier ways to get some sort of vegetable in her...so picky, the bird. Quinoa sprouts ridiculously fast, it's only been 14 hours and they've already got tails. I'll be feeding them tomorrow, so maybe it'll work. In the meantime, we were given a new play stand after a family member suddenly lost their bird. Currently bleaching it, but hopefully she'll like it...her nails are sharp and it has bark!

More Updates, Because I'm Never On GSb9JEp

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down