Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foods without corn

2 posters

Go down

Foods without corn  Empty Foods without corn

Post by Sam Tue 16 Jul 2019, 9:53 pm

Hey there! All of my mice are rescues, which is important because that means their genetics are usually very bad. 6 out of the 7 mice I've had pass away were put down from tumors. They're likely genetic, so I don't know if diet even makes a difference.

Still, due to that I'm trying to cut down corn to reduce the risk any way I can. Right now their food is based off oxbow regal rat, with the rest being carefully weighed and calculated with seeds, insects and grains. I'm happy with the homemade bit, but I'd really like to avoid the fish meal in oxbow for a few reasons.

The best alternative I've found is science selective, which is really difficult to get in Canada and also contains D3, as most foods probably will, that is from lanolin.

I do buy a parakeet seed, but it isn't fortified like other foods- it is just a few kinds of millet. The variety is low which I could fix in a mix, but the lack of vitamins scares me. I'll keep scouring for bird mixes, but any suggestions? Edit: I've found a couple members here use dog food as part of their mix- so here's the ingredients from a couple that didn't seem awful at a glance. And yes, they are vegan. My mice do get dried and sometimes fresh insects, but I'd like to keep away from anything else. I'm unsure about all the added vitamins here, for the most part some quick googling says they're natural. I know some sources have been problematic in the past so if you spot anything alarming, let me know Smile

2:
Dried Peas, Ground Oats, Pea Protein, Ground Brown Rice, Potato Protein, Rapeseed Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Alfalfa Meal, Natural Vegetable Flavors, Ground Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Dried Lentils, Ground Quinoa Seeds, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Carrots, DL-Methionine, Dried Blueberries, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Selenium Yeast, Copper Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate), Dried Spinach, Dried Apples, Dried Sweet Potatoes, Dried Cranberries, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C Activity), Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

2:
Organic peas, organic barley, organic oats, lentils, organic sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, quinoa, organic flaxseed, primary dried yeast, calcium carbonate, natural vegetable flavouring, blueberries, cranberries, carrots, choline chloride, salt, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D2 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, calcium iodate, selenium yeast), taurine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, L-carnitine, dried rosemary.

Walk  Mice: Ramen, Gadget, Cricket, Perry, Marvel, Jeepers, Cheese Stick, Brannigan, Pigeon, Missy, Darla Tail FlipASFs: Quil, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Otter, Koala, Tamarack, Popple, Conifer Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly WalkGerbils: Kala, Everest, and Mak Walk
Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Foods without corn  Empty Re: Foods without corn

Post by CallaLily Sat 20 Jul 2019, 12:40 pm

Science Selective Mouse Food, while not perfect, is the best pelleted Mouse Food I’ve found IMO. Their Rat food is good too. I used to have it shipped in from VioVet but I know it’s expensive. Sometimes their rat food can be found on amazon.

I’ve read that many people use dog food with success too, but I never have. Just based off of ingredients, these plant-based options look ok for mice. The second looks better than the first to me.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down