Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switching foods?

3 posters

Go down

Switching foods? Empty Switching foods?

Post by lucyinthesky Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:59 am

Hey there, as per the recommendation on here, I've been feeding my mice Vitakraft's Vitasmart Parakeet food, however, they completely ignore all of the colored pieces of food. I'm also very wary of foods with artificial colors due to the carcinogenic nature of food coloring. I was shopping around on Chewy and found this food: https://www.chewy.com/browns-encore-classic-natural/dp/122336, and I'm very interested in it due to its lack of artifical coloring. It looks perfect for them so long as I add in a few other ingredients, but I wanted to see what you guys think. Would this be a viable alternative with the addition of oats, sunflower seeds, puffed wheat, a small amount of pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, etc? I will insert the ingredient list down below for your convienence - thanks.

White Proso Millet, Oat Groats, Canary Grass Seed, Red Millet, Wheat, Wheat Flour, Ground Corn, Ground Oats, Corn Gluten Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Soy Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Algae Meal, Fructooligosaccharide, L-Lysine, Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Manganese Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Dl-Methionine, Zinc Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Product, Biotin, Folic Acid, Lecithin, Mixed Tocopherols (a Preservative), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary, Carotene.
lucyinthesky
lucyinthesky

Back to top Go down

Switching foods? Empty Re: Switching foods?

Post by CallaLily Fri 09 Mar 2018, 2:25 pm

It has very little variety (only 4 whole ingredients) but there’s nothing unsafe in it. What is the crude protein/fat/fiber? The link doesn’t work for me. If that’s in a good range and you can add different whole ingredients to bump up the variety while still keeping the GA in acceptable range - you’re probably ok.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 09 Mar 2018, 4:18 pm

@CallaLily The link works, the forum just tried to add the comma at the end of the link as part of the link! So if you copy the link w/o that comma at the end it should work!

Protein 13, Fat 4.5, Fiber 10

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 10 Mar 2018, 9:43 am

Ah, I didn’t catch that. Thank you.

Fat is just a tiny bit low but that can/will change depending on what (and how much) you add. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by lucyinthesky Sat 10 Mar 2018, 1:42 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely be adding other ingredients. They also get things like mealworms, freeze-dried turkey, and tofu a couple times a week, so I think it will work out fine. Besides oats, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds, are there any other ingredients you would add? I would like to have more variety in there.

lucyinthesky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down