Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??)

2 posters

Go down

Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??) Empty Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??)

Post by Sentientsunshine Tue 30 Jul 2019, 11:12 pm

Hi! So I’m sort of new to mice keeping and this forum but have owned gerbils and hamsters in the past and really need some help here.
So my friend owns a pet snake which he feeds exclusively live fuzzy mice. Recently his snake has had some health problems and refuses to eat because of it. However, he had this little fuzzy mouse left that he didn’t want to take care of so I took him in. I initially fed him Pedialyte in case he was dehydrated but over the span of a day I eased him onto this formula I found by following this YouTube channel (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNX2byHbppM). I’ve been feeding him every 2-3 hours with a paintbrush and he seems pretty active and healthy. I think he is 10-11 days old but I have trouble figuring out how old exactly he is and that seems to be a big problem here.
Today is Tuesday and on Friday night I have to go see this play for my Grandmas birthday and there is no way I can get out of it. Because of that I’m going to have to be away from him for 6-6 1/2 hours! I was hoping he’d have his eyes open by then and I could feed him crisp bread soaked in formula as I found online, but I’m really worried he won’t be ready in time. I’d leave him with a friend but I’m not sure who I can trust to do it well enough and to be gentle.
I might be able to find a friend but I want to know if he will be okay going 6-61/2 hours without food if I can’t find another option.

I really appreciate any help here. Smile
Sentientsunshine
Sentientsunshine

Inspired

Back to top Go down

Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??) Empty Re: Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??)

Post by Sentientsunshine Tue 30 Jul 2019, 11:18 pm

Here’s a picture of him if that helps
Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??) 08b41b10
Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??) 08b41b10
Sentientsunshine
Sentientsunshine

Inspired

Back to top Go down

Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??) Empty Re: Hand raising a baby mouse (how long can he go without food??)

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 31 Jul 2019, 9:25 am

Yeah, I think you're going to have to find somebody who can do at least one feeding during your night out -- as well as to keep a general eye on mousie things for you. Just in case anybody who checks in here might be able to mouse-sit for you, could you let us know your approximate location? Ya never know!

I took my little April with me to "see" Richard II in the summer of 2016. I would have normally just let her spend the evening in my office while I went out and took care of the arts, but we had a new and antagonistic landlord, and I didn't dare leave her alone there during hours when strangers might let themselves in for a look-around. And although taking her to the absolutely-NO-ANIMALS-policy house where I lived was strictly forbidden, she did spend quite a lot of time there anyway -- but to drive her back and set her up, drive off to the play, then drive back to pick her up and take her back to work for the nightshift was a plan that was not working well logistically. So off we went to the "theatah" ...

Last year at the same venue there was a squirrel on the loose inside the theatre during the performance of Measure For Measure that I attended. So I guess word must have circulated through the animal kingdom that rodents are welcome in the venue, at least for the Shakespeare.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sentientsunshine Wed 31 Jul 2019, 1:08 pm

Thank you so much for replying!
I live approximately 30 minutes south east of Kansas City, MO in the Overland Park/Olathe region.
It seems based on your stories that rodents must really love the theatre you go to 😂 your story made me smile
Sentientsunshine
Sentientsunshine

Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Sentientsunshine Wed 31 Jul 2019, 1:18 pm

Goose has started doing little “hops” when I feed him and hold him, he also prefers to lap milk off of my hand instead of sucking on the paint brush. I hope that this means that he’s starting to get to the age where he’ll open his eyes
Fingers crossed!
Sentientsunshine
Sentientsunshine

Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Sentientsunshine Wed 07 Aug 2019, 11:35 pm

So I never explained what happened but Goose ended up opening his eyes and loving his food just in time so all my worries were for nothing 😂
Sentientsunshine
Sentientsunshine

Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down