Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chattering mouse - respiratory infection?

4 posters

Go down

Chattering mouse - respiratory infection?  Empty Chattering mouse - respiratory infection?

Post by Fuzzball Wed 02 Oct 2019, 3:03 am

I recently got two mice from the pet store. One is completely silent but the other often makes little squeaky sounds as though he's muttering to himself, or teeth-chattering sounds. Similar sounds to the kind that talkative guinea pigs make (not wheeking, their more quiet sounds). I've read that a mouse 'clicking' with each breath indicates a respiratory infection, but this sound seems to me to be a form of communication because it's not in time with his breathing. He doesn't do it all the time, he mainly does it when he finds food or I pick him up. Should I be concerned?

Fuzzball

Back to top Go down

Chattering mouse - respiratory infection?  Empty Re: Chattering mouse - respiratory infection?

Post by Ink1Green Fri 25 Oct 2019, 5:11 pm

One of my boys does this! If I squeak at him he does reply! I think it is just a communication thing
Ink1Green
Ink1Green

Back to top Go down

Chattering mouse - respiratory infection?  Empty Re: Chattering mouse - respiratory infection?

Post by Sparrow Sat 26 Oct 2019, 5:22 am

Some mice are just extremely chatty. I have a girl called Raven who does not stop squeaking. I brought her to three different exotic vets just to be sure that she was healthy and that the squeaking, clicking and what not was not a sign or any illness.
She gets very vocal when you pay attention to her, when she is eating, when she is playing with her friends... she just never stops. Most mice will stop the squeaking with you hold them, she just chats to you then. The only time she ever stays quiet is when she is asleep but if she has a dream, she will vocalise it too.
Sparrow
Sparrow

Chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ControlCoreAngel Wed 30 Oct 2019, 5:11 pm

i used to have a mouse with respiratory problems- my gal flick would do exactly what youre describing, a clicking with every breath. she would also chatter due to this. she would also do full on sneezes, which is never a good sign, as mice shouldnt sneeze normally.

however, if its not in time with breathing, this just sounds like a chatty boy! hes probably happy he found food and may enjoy being picked up!

angel / mouse owner for 6+ years / they

current babies: pantalaimon / french fry

rip: svanhild / juniper / lumi / winter / echo / hiroko / fat baby / flick / fox / mayonnaise / macaroni / pipin / poppy / skittle
ControlCoreAngel
ControlCoreAngel
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Angelic

https://fandomstuckportal.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzball Sat 09 Nov 2019, 11:54 pm

Thanks for your advice everyone! He actually did turn out to have a respiratory infection- he started sneezing and is now on antibiotics.

Fuzzball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down