Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many mice should I keep in this cage?

2 posters

Go down

How many mice should I keep in this cage? Empty How many mice should I keep in this cage?

Post by Leoco Fri 01 Nov 2019, 7:31 pm

I have been doing research into keeping mice and I know that there are numerous calculators out there but they do not take into account the different levels and thought I would ask the experts about this cage

I have been given it and would love to be able to use it and was wondering how many mice you guys would recommend keeping in it
https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/rosewood-pico-hamster-home-extra-large-teal
Thanks!

Leoco

Back to top Go down

How many mice should I keep in this cage? Empty Re: How many mice should I keep in this cage?

Post by Malcolm Sun 03 Nov 2019, 11:29 pm

I would still call this cage a single level set up. Those tiny platforms don't offer any space for real movement, just large steps or resting places. I guess mice can run back and forth, round and round, up and and get some exercise. I look for long stretches to run on, dimensions measured in meters, more closely emulating the real world, as if they were living free. I also like having one wheel per mouse. Wheels and wheel running is the only toy and activity that holds their interest over the long haul. Currently our cage has 17 levels, and about 70 feet linear distance before our single mouse Gus touches a spot twice. He will use almost 2/3 of it maybe 20 times a day. Searching for food and running on one wheel after another, till he settles on his 2 favorite wheels.
Malcolm
Malcolm

Back to top Go down