Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Separating Male Mice

5 posters

Go down

Separating Male Mice Empty Separating Male Mice

Post by Nosferatu Tue 31 Dec 2019, 2:45 pm

I have 2 males, and I bought them together and currently have them housed together. My intention when I went to Petco was to only buy 1 male, but I fell in love with 2, so here I am.

I know that everyone advises against housing males together, and I'm actually planning on buying a new tank soon to separate them. The thing is, they actually do well together. I've only been a mouse owner for a little over 3 months now, so I'm new to this, and this might be a silly question. But I was wondering, will it upset them to be separated? They've always been together, and I'm just concerned they might get depressed if I move them to their own cages. Obviously, having them seperated is the better option, because even though they do well together and never fight (at least, I've never seen them fight) I'm scared they will fight and one will get injured or even die.

So I guess I'm wondering, will they get upset/lonely if they're separated? And if they do, is there any way for me to help them get over that besides interacting with them more?

Nosferatu
Nosferatu

Capricorn Spooky

Back to top Go down

Separating Male Mice Empty Re: Separating Male Mice

Post by starwolf11 Fri 03 Jan 2020, 1:55 pm

I would keep them together if they're doing well together. Never separate them for too long or they may turn on each other again. They may become more aggressive as they get older, but not necessarily. I say they should be fine, just separate them if you hear any loud squeaking, they're chasing each other, biting/fighting. If they are wounded, put some sort of antibiotic cream on the wound and they should be fine. But, if there is no sign of aggressive behavior, it's better to keep them together. It honestly just depends on the mice. Hope this helps! Very Happy
starwolf11
starwolf11

Cloud 9

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpDIVT6jMpsLIRzWfIOXorA/videos?view_as=subscriber

Back to top Go down

Post by aestheticpink Fri 03 Jan 2020, 3:39 pm

You should probably separate them. I'm really new to owning mice but I was super close to getting two males at the pet store but I decided against due to what I have read. This is a highly debated topic but from what I have read, people have kept their bucks together and then one day on of the mice snap and kill the other one. Even if they get along well right now, it could change very rapidly. Male mice in the wild do not stay in groups with other male mice, so they will be fine! As long as you give them enough attention they'll be good. Very Happy

aestheticpink

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosferatu Fri 03 Jan 2020, 4:56 pm

Yeah, I was only going to get 1 male because of the warnings against keeping males together. But like I said, I ended up not being able to choose so I took both home. I should've just bought another tank as soon as I could after that, but I figured I'd just see how it would play out (also I was a little strapped on cash atm). But now that I have the money for another tank, I think I'll just get another. Too scared that one mouse will hurt the other.
Nosferatu
Nosferatu

Capricorn Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Sun 05 Jan 2020, 9:32 pm

Have multiple wheels for each mouse.   Like 2 different kinds, or even 3 different kinds and swap them out.  

Also change their environment every few days, like rearrange all their stuff and add few new simple things.  It gives them something to do and keeps them from getting too bored.  

A variety of treats also keeps things interesting.  

I've had plenty of male mice living alone and they've never seemed lonely at all.   As long as they got lots of toys and new things or things just changing every few days they seem happy.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jlenches28 Thu 09 Jan 2020, 2:16 am

Hey there,
I once had two males that were from the same litter and i tried to keep them together. It wasn’t worth it. I wish i knew all that i know now, but basically As they got older they fought more and more until one was always biting the other’s tail and ostracizing him. At first they slept together for warmth but then The bitten one was always alone in this teenie hide, afraid to come out and the other would chase him and squawk at him and try to bite him for getting food at the bowl. I wanted them to be friends but i was simply putting my human feelings onto them. From what i have read after that, it’s just not a good idea...as they get older they fight more and more often times resulting in the death of one.
Best wishes!

Jlenches28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down