Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Separating male mice

3 posters

Go down

Separating male mice Empty Separating male mice

Post by Aretta Thu 02 Apr 2020, 5:51 am

Hello everyone,

We have just adopted two mice (just regular white lab mice) and we found out they are both males. So far they seem okay, they sleep together, groom and eat and generally look fine with one another but we are keeping a close eye on them since they are still young. We intend to separate them the moment we see any fighting or unwanted behaviour going on.

My question is - once they are separated, can they be kept so that they see each other through the cage? We have ventilated glass tanks for them. I wondered whether that would make them feel not alone without risking injuries or if it would just stress them out. We were told they are both girls but it was probably too early to tell and we feel a lot of responsibility for them.

Thanks a lot for any answers! Smile

Aretta

Back to top Go down

Separating male mice Empty Re: Separating male mice

Post by pomskies Sat 04 Apr 2020, 8:46 pm

Hello,

I recently had the same situation, would you believe it? But unfortunately, mine escalated a lot faster. All of the sudden, one of them had a massive bite !! The second their balls dropped, one of them became a bully. We separated immediately and keep their tanks next to each other.

I don't necessarily think they notice each other, but I notice their moods improved tremendously? They're a lot more active and friendly with me so I take them both out separately throughout the day.

I try to replace socialization they would get with each other to socialization with me, kinda like with rats if they lose their partner and don't want to be with another.

Hopefully, the situation doesn't escalate as bad as it did for my little friends...
pomskies
pomskies

Aries Dancing

Back to top Go down

Post by Aretta Sun 05 Apr 2020, 7:38 am

Glad your boys are okay! We originally wanted to wait because they really seemed to be happy the way they were but in the end we decided it was not worth risking it. They share one wall now through which they can see each other but can't get through. I think Václav, our shy boy, was not very happy about it at first and he spent quite some time at the division wall the first day while Zikmund totally embraced living on his own. They both seem satisfied now and are slowly allowing me to touch them. Václav loves destroying the cardboard house I built for him Very Happy I am so excited about having them!

Aretta

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrie Wed 08 Apr 2020, 11:50 am

Smile I seperate my male lab mice as soon as I heard squeaking frrom fights which would be around I think a couple months old. I was suprised they didn't start scraping w/ ome another earlier & when they got along before the seperation I always hoped I'd have a pair that would miraculously not fight but no such luck obviously. I have my males where they can see other males & females. I feel bad they are in cages by themselves but I let them out every day a couple times for playtime in their "playgrounds" & I constantly switch things around in their cages & hide their treats etc to encourage activity.

Carrie

Leo Chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down