Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New pet mouse nipping

3 posters

Go down

New pet mouse nipping Empty New pet mouse nipping

Post by LineupSpaceMan Sat 25 Apr 2020, 4:43 am

Hi, about five days ago I got a one month old male mouse from a local breeder and I have been trying to tame him by doing what I was suggested to do (I'm a first time mouse owner). Keeping my hand in the cage, hand feeding, getting him used to my voice and he seems to be comfortable with that. However, whenever I put my hand or finger near him, he'll go from sniffing calmly, and then come up to me and nip my fingers, often enough to draw blood. I'm just wondering, is this normal? should I put up with his nipping and he'll grow out of it? should I do something about it?
Thanks
Smile

LineupSpaceMan

Back to top Go down

New pet mouse nipping Empty Re: New pet mouse nipping

Post by Robin~ Sat 25 Apr 2020, 8:58 am

Hello!

Do you happen to smell like food when you approach him (washed you hands with scented soap or just didn't wash at all)? He could be mistaking you for food.

If you have been washing, it could be a sign of defensiveness. Is his cage fully enriched (you shouldn't be able to see the bedding when you look down from above--they like it super crowded!)?

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by LineupSpaceMan Sun 26 Apr 2020, 7:09 pm

I have been washing my hands, however with scented soap, I also read somewhere that if you hand feed your mice before they are tamed, they are more likely to nip. So I'll be sure to wash my hands with something scentless and refrain from hand-feeding him.
As for his cage, I've made sure that there are plenty of hiding spaces for him. And apart from a digging space, his cage if pretty crowded. Hopefully, making sure I don't smell like food helps, and I'll also make sure that his cage is enriched
Thank you so much for answering Smile

LineupSpaceMan

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 27 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

Don't forget mousie "psychology".

Your mousie is new.  He's in a new situation.  He needs to figure out where he fits into his new situation, what the hierarchy is, what his limits are.  He's being assertive in one of the few ways he can, to let you know that he wants to have some input into what's going on.  This may go one of two ways:  Either he will realize that you treat him like the little prince he believes himself to be, become accustomed to his new environment, and stop nipping -- or -- he may turn out to be a little perpetual nipper, possibly overly territorial, and that would be a product of his hormones more than anything personal against you.

Maintain the scent-free-hands protocol and do not force mousie to do things he seems uninclined to do while he's getting used to being around you.  I would say to watch for him to mellow out between two and four weeks after you brought him home. That seems to be about what most people seem to experience, based on all the various reports I have run across on the Web.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down