Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difference between feeder and fancy mice

3 posters

Go down

Difference between feeder and fancy mice Empty Difference between feeder and fancy mice

Post by Kiwi&Celmentine Tue 05 May 2020, 9:59 am

Hello everyone! I’m wondering if there’s distinct differences between feeder and fancy mice. Size, pattern, demeanor, etc. Mostly I’m wondering if there’s a difference in their care, because my mice were branded as fancy but they’re small, skittish and have no pattern.

Kiwi&Celmentine

Back to top Go down

Difference between feeder and fancy mice Empty Re: Difference between feeder and fancy mice

Post by Robin~ Tue 05 May 2020, 3:20 pm

This article discusses this question in detail: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4804-feeder-mice

Basically, there's no difference in care/demeanor; it's all about where/how they were raised. If they're from an ethical breeder who socialized the mice from birth they're bound to be more comfortable with humans than a mouse whose only interactions with humans have been just moving them to another box. This isn't to say mill-bred mice can't be social, because they absolutely can when you give them time, they just won't want to jump in your hand right as you take them home.
But, in terms of feeder vs fancy, if they're from a pet store, they're basically the same besides coat color.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Difference between feeder and fancy mice Empty Thanks

Post by Kiwi&Celmentine Sat 09 May 2020, 3:26 pm

My mice are much friendlier now. I have my eye on a white and black mouse. She’s a real cutie

Kiwi&Celmentine

Back to top Go down

Difference between feeder and fancy mice Empty Re: Difference between feeder and fancy mice

Post by animalgirl555 Wed 26 Oct 2022, 7:11 pm

Actually, feeder mice and fancy mice are the same kinds of mice, just feeders are bred to be fed to snakes, hence the name "feeder mice". A big difference between feeder mice and fancy mice is that feeders often have worse genetics than fancy mice, but can still be healthy. I personally have 2 feeder mice and they seem ok so far. One of them always wants to play/ have out-of-the-cage time, and the other one is a bit shy, but that's ok. Smile

animalgirl555

Cheeky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down