Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse pellets

2 posters

Go down

Mouse pellets Empty Mouse pellets

Post by Pet-Mousies Sat 30 May 2020, 10:48 am

Hello! I use the Mazuri rat and mouse pellets along with the sunburst rat/mouse mix. Is this an ok diet? I'm looking to make homemade food, but before I can do that, I want to know if a homemade mix+ Mazuri rat and mouse pellets is a good diet. Thanks!

Last edited by Pet-Mousies on Sat 30 May 2020, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : unclear it was mazuri *pellets* I was talking about)

Pet-Mousies

Back to top Go down

Mouse pellets Empty Re: Mouse pellets

Post by Robin~ Sat 30 May 2020, 11:05 am

Hello!

Mazuri is a nice, high quality pellet, but is very high in protein so it needs to be added carefully. The total diet should have a GA of 12-15%.

Oxbow Adult Rat food is a great option. It has a lower protein level, is based off of brown rice (unlike other Oxbow foods), and my mice love it. It's also suitable for fortification since mice and rats have very similar needs.

Otherwise, Sunburst Rat and Mouse is a great food! You may not even need a pellet since Sunburst is already fortfied for rats/mice. Smile

As for a homemade mix, this is mine. It's not perfect or the only way to tackle diet, but it's a decent insight in what it should look like. If I were to fix anything in it would increase the number of types of grains (adding in rye, amaranth, buckwheat, etc). This is the guide I followed, but I reduced the amount of legumes fed because mice can't process legumes as well as hamsters. I also took down the amount of vegetables a good bit because adding in the recommended amount seemed to affect the variety too much for my liking.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Pet-Mousies Sun 31 May 2020, 10:57 am

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely need to do research on how to make a proper homemade food

Pet-Mousies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down