Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding pellets to food

2 posters

Go down

Adding pellets to food Empty Adding pellets to food

Post by Pet-Mousies Tue 16 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm

Hello! It's widely believed that tropical carnival mouse and rat food is the best commercial food to feed your mice. However, you need to add mazuri rat and mouse pellets into it in order for it to be healthy enough so they cannot pick out certain bits of their food. My question has two parts: 1- How many pellets (what ratio) should I add into the sunburst? 2- I scatter feed. Should I bowl feed the pellets, or scatter those as well?

Pet-Mousies

Back to top Go down

Adding pellets to food Empty Re: Adding pellets to food

Post by Robin~ Tue 16 Jun 2020, 7:25 pm

Hello!

Actually, I strongly suggest against feeding Brown's Tropical Carnival Rat and Mouse food because it contains kafir, which is either some sort of lime or dairy product, both of which are unsafe for mice. The hamster and gerbil version is great for mice, though. Smile You also mentioned using (Higgins?) Sunburst--both the hamster and mouse version are great options.

Mazuri can be a decent pellet to add, but I wouldn't have it be the only pellet in your diet since it's very high in protein (mice only need 12-15%; Mazuri has 23%). Oxbow Adult Rat is a pretty great option; it has only 15% protein as is still a very high quality pellet.

As for what ratio, that's up to you. Personally I'd do something close to 50/50 to balance both fortification and variety. Keep in mind you'll have to do this by weight, though (so no use of tablespoons, pieces, etc for mixing). If you mix an entire bag of both Oxbow and Brown's together it's a 60/40 mix, which would probably work but not really be ideal.
This article goes into detail about how to mix a food:
​III. Calculating the Guaranteed Analysis of a Mixed Diet

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Adding pellets to food Empty Thanks!

Post by Pet-Mousies Wed 17 Jun 2020, 6:47 pm

I currently feed 1/4 cup of sunburst rat and mouse diet to my 2 mice every night. I'll definitely look into adding Oxbow adult rat into my food. thanks for the guidance.

Pet-Mousies

Back to top Go down

Adding pellets to food Empty Re: Adding pellets to food

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down