Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tail rattling at seemingly nothing?

5 posters

Go down

Tail rattling at seemingly nothing? Empty Tail rattling at seemingly nothing?

Post by River Thu 14 Jul 2016, 9:41 am

I heard someone out and about, and upon going over to see who it was, Graham started rattling her tail against the tank. Maier was sleeping, so it wasn't at her. I wouldn't of thought she'd rattle at me, as she doesn't tend to act frightened of me when I'm messing with the tank; she'll sometimes put a paw on me and nibble, which of course, I'm trying to discourage. She does occasionally squint when she's approaching me, though, so I reckon it could be her rattling at me.
If the rattling was directed at me, what should I do in terms of training her? I've just been doing the 'leave your hand in the cage' method, and I'm not sure where else to go with it.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Tail rattling at seemingly nothing? Empty Re: Tail rattling at seemingly nothing?

Post by AnonONIagent Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:50 am

Lucy would do this. I'm not sure what it meant, though.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Tail rattling at seemingly nothing? Empty Re: Tail rattling at seemingly nothing?

Post by River Thu 14 Jul 2016, 11:14 am

Usually tail rattling means they feel threatened. I've heard some people say even their very tame mice do it sometimes, provided they're in a bad mood or something. I wonder.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 14 Jul 2016, 12:07 pm

When my husband sneaks up on me, I scream. Because I'm startled. And then I usually say some bad words. I think tail rattling from a tame mouse is akin to that sort of thing. And yes, every now and then, I startle my very tame mice and they will give me little rattle, too.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealexander Thu 14 Jul 2016, 12:36 pm

Yeah, it might have been at you, or more likely at your shadow moving because she just didn't realize it was you and was scared or nervous.
Ealexander
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 14 Jul 2016, 1:07 pm

Tail rattling is a mouse's first defense - it's a way of trying to scare something off before having to actually bite/attack. I agree with scaredy - I think she's heard something or seen movement, and it made her feel spooked, so she's going "Oi, whatever's there, back off" just in case it's something to be scared of.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 14 Jul 2016, 1:23 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks,

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down